23 The Truth About the Carriage Ride

Adarian was now very upset. His wife who was sitting next to him was focused on the history book. This was good. He didn't want her to look at his face right now. Not after reading Davier's report.

Davier had finally finished interrogating the carriage driver hired by the Marquis. The driver he had interrogated was named Greyson. He got every single detail of Greyson's story, and put it in a document for Adarian. He had interrogated the man from the moment he left Olivia with the king in his quarters. The driver was a criminal. He was wanted for murder and a few other charges. He was to take Olivia through the Olde Forest Road. The Olde Forest Road was once used a long time ago in the past. It was now little more than a path through the thick forest, a way only used by those who were desperate to get away. Criminals fleeing the kingdom were pretty much the only ones who used this path now.

...

...

Greyson was a criminal. He had evaded the authorities for quite some time. He took odd jobs here and there. Dirty jobs no one else wanted most of the time. Greasy Jane was the head of getting people for the right jobs. Greasy Jane was not considered a woman. What she had done before opening this bar was a mystery. No one knew if Jane was even her real name. But what they did know was Jane never bathed. She didn't go near water. She had dirt and grime that covered her head to toe, and she smelled really bad. Her hair was always greasy. She said it was from working in the kitchen. People didn't go to her bar for the food anyway. She just collected the jobs, and handed them out for a fee.

Sometimes even Greyson wanted to turn down the jobs. But he was desperate for money. He had a habit. He was always in the brothels. He loved women. It was an expensive habit. He did the dirty jobs, and he got paid accordingly.

Then one day he got pulled into the back of the bar by Greasy Jane. He was the head of a criminal empire. Unknown by most. Hidden from the law. She did a good job hiding most of the criminals. But now there stood a man in a cloak in the back of Greasy Jane's bar.

He could tell at first glance the guy didn't belong here. He was too classy. Even the cloak that was basically rags couldn't hide this guy's overbearing presence.

"He's got a job for you," Greasy Jane said. She left the room.

"What's the job," Greyson asked. The man in the cloak took out a bag barely able to fit in his hand. It made a clicking sound as it hit the floor in front of Greyson. "The job's worth three more of these bags. Do you want the job or not?"

Greyson took the bag and looked inside. It was full of gold. What kind of luck was this that this job came his way? "What's the job?"

"I just need you to escort a young noble lady in a Permanent carriage ride." The cloaked figure obviously did not want to give out too many details.

"I accept the job." Greyson knew what this meant it was a hit job. The high pay was because of the high risk. "Who's the person riding, and when do you need this done by?"

"I need you to be at the Marquis Praxis residence by tomorrow morning at 8. The carriage will be provided for you. The adopted daughter of Marquis Praxis will be the one to ride the carriage. She needs a ride to the Southern Convent. Take her through the Olde Forest Road. Make sure she cannot EVER come back. Do you understand?"

Greyson nodded. "I gotta question." Normally he never asked too much beyond who and where when it came to this type of job. Those two questions had already been asked.

"What is it?" the cloaked figure asked impatiently. He didn;t want to be in this filth any longer.

"Can I entertain the girl in the carriage," he asked, making a suggestive motion with his hips, "before I 'drop her off'?

"Do whatever you want," the cloaked figure said disgusted. "Humiliate the little b*tch I don't care. Just make sure she can't come back. And keep in mind, Lady Lowenheim doesn't want any mistakes on this."

The cloaked figure tuned and left. His cloak revealed an expensive outfit for a moment as he turned. The dagger at his side glinted in the light in the office.

Greyson drank a lot, and even paid for a couple of rounds all around. He was very popular that night. He had bragged around to the others that he was going to have a real noble lady, so there were other criminals that wanted to join in the fun. They were going to pay him a hefty fee. They would all get to take their turn with a noble lady. This was a rare chance. She was going to earn him a lot of money. He was going to take her first though. He wanted to have a classy clean woman broken under him.

The man in the cloak wanted her dead, but he did not say when. He could keep her alive for a while, earn himself some good money, and then kill her. That was the plan.

...

...

The next morning Greyson pulled up to the house of Marquis Praxis in the modified prison wagon. He greeted the marquis who had a familiar dagger attached to his hip glinting in the sunlight. The Marquis passed him three bags of gold, the same size as the ones from yesterday.

Greyson was excited. He had bought several rounds last night, and he still had about a half bag of gold left. This would let him live a good life for a while.

He looked at the Praxis family giving their goodbye's to the beautiful well endowed girl. Her cleavage showed through her dress in an immodest way that wouldn't be too out of place in the brothels he frequented. But her skin looked so very smooth.

He was very excited. This rich miss would be very soft underneath him soon. He could hardly wait, his pants were already tightening. He drove off in the carriage the moment the duke put the key to the door in his hands. He knew by the man's familiar hands, and dagger that the Marquis was the one who hired him.

He momentarily felt a little bad for the girl. She probably trusted that her father would never do something like this to her. Oh well. It was none of his business. He had money to make.

But when he turned to go down the Olde Forest Road, out of nowhere he was attacked, and knocked out. The next time Greyson opened his eyes, he was already in the interrogation room

Davier drove the carriage like a madman to the castle after that. At first there were several criminals on their tail, but as they neared the castle, the criminals veered off, not daring to get closer.

The moment they got to the castle Davier took Mistress Olivia to the king's private rooms. He stayed to guard her until the king himself showed up.

...

...

Adarian knew things would not be easy when he told the Marquis his decision to marry Olivia. But he did not expect the Marquis to be so stupid as to hatch this plan. This was not only an attempt on the future queen, but also on their unborn child! Adarian knew that there was no chance of Olivia being Pregnant, but the Marquis didn't. As far as everyone not present in that room was concerned Olivia was potentially the mother of the crown prince!