【Chapter 19 Loving the Phone Calls and Nice Trying Mom... Part 1】

I didn't know if it was last night's events that exhausted me beyond all belief or the weight I felt finally lifted off my chest after I talked with Sam, but either way I had one of the best nights of sleep I've ever had. I woke without any alarms to wake me and then I realized, I had slept in to the afternoon.

And then I remembered.

Shit.

I had a shift at the diner and I was so beyond late, and I didn't know why Sam didn't wake me.

I rushed to get ready taking the latest possible shower known to man kind and then dressed before heading downstairs.

When I finally enter the kitchen I slow my pace noticing that the blinds are open and the sunshine is pouring through. It makes the room feel warm and homey with the natural bright light. But before I could fully enjoy the warmth it was interrupted by the smell of burning pancakes.

Sam was at the oven with a white apron and little kisses on it. He had a spatula in one hand and was holding up a smoking frying pan in the other. I would have laughed if he didn't look so panicked with them both in his hands.

"Sam?" I call while trying to mask the amusement in my voice with something akin to calmness.

"Parker?" Sam greets before moving to the island and setting down the frying pan. He takes off his oven mitts and turns to look a me with a grim smile.

"You okay over there?" I watch as a glop of batter drips off his cheeks. He was well over six feet and looked like a badass most of the time but right now Sam looked like he was six years old making a mud pie in the kitchen.

This was gold.

"Yes?"

"I'll try this another way. What are you doing?" I offer moving toward the island and looking over to a pancake with a crooked smile on its face with melting chocolate chips where his nose should be.

"I made you breakfast. Or tried at least." He grumbles before untying his apron and tossing it onto the counter.

"Yes, I'm getting that, but why?" I question my older brother again hoping for some clarification.

"We're playing hokey from work today. So I thought I would make you breakfast and I tried a new recipe this morning but it didn't quite work out." He offers before grunting. He reaches to scratch the back of his neck as he looks sadly down at the now frowning pancake.

"I'm not working today?" I question again confused. Did he change his mind about last night? Did he read something in the entertainment section of the news? Did he find out who Jessie was?

I can feel the blood rush from my face at the thought and I have to resist the disappointment that I feel plummet to the bottom of my stomach.

"Parker, before you start spiraling because I know you will, this is part me helping you."

After seeing my confusion he continues.

"Part of being a teen is being irresponsible. Just a little and I'm your boss so we're playing hokey today." He finishes with a small grin as his eyebrows quirk in amusement at my surprise.

"Sam? You're telling me to miss work that's more than a little irresponsible." I offer back feeling myself frown.

"Kid how long have you been working?" He asks before grabbing a rag to wipe his cheek. He crosses his arms as he leans against the counter studying me.

"Three years." I reply quietly.

"How many hours would you say you put into work a week when you were living with mom?" He asks all joking aside.