【Chapter 22 Loving My Ex-Boyfriend's Mom... If ya know... I liked monsters】

A/N: Trigger warning:

The following themes of the chapter have sensitive topics that are potential triggers. They include teen pregnancy, sexual assault, mention of brief violence, excessive curse words etc. I posted this here toward the beginning of the chapter as a gentle reminder that if you feel you aren't in the correct headspace to read with these themes in mind to please skip this chapter. It's not worth sacrificing your mental well being so please keep this in mind before making the decision to read this chapter. Take care yourselves and look out for others.

With Kindness & Love

-Rae

【Chapter 22 Loving My Ex-Boyfriend's Mom... If ya know... I liked monsters and that sort of thing】

My heart rate accelerated incredibly fast at the thought of Ollie eating that garlic. It would have sent him to the ER so fast that he wouldn't have had time to process what had happened before he was in the back of an ambulance.

Again.

Shit.

I release his sleeve reluctantly because I really just wanted to hold his hand. I was so close. I couldn't afford to do something so dumb.

I take a beat and a breath before I look up to meet his green eyes that are widened in alarm at my raised voice. His eyebrows are scrunched in confusion and the entire table is still so so silent.

I needed an excuse and fast. There was no way in his mind I would know he was allergic to garlic and I could only hope his parents would go along with this excuse.

"Donna told me you were allergic to garlic when she asked your parents if you had any dietary needs and allergies. I forgot to grab the potatoes that were garlic free. I'm so sorry." I feel my jaw clench at the lie. The only lie I have ever told him.

I catch his parents gaze and I see his father give me a grateful nod while his mom glares in my direction.

I expect nothing less from Judy.

"Yes, we did. I assume you can grab another plate of garlic free potatoes." Judy offers as diplomatically as she can but she just barely manages to spit the words at me.

I catch Donna's eyebrows raise at Judy's tone but then she swings her gaze to me in an inquisitive stare as if I could explain the situation.

Which I couldn't. Not here. Not now.

I glance toward Ollie's dad Marcus and his head is down and he's aggressively rubbing the back of his neck.

"Yes, I'll head back to the kitchen for that right now." I swallow back the lump in my throat because I never thought I could miss someone who was sitting right next to me. I rise from my chair and just as I'm about to turn to the kitchen and escape this awkward dinner for at least a few minutes a voice speaks up.

"I'll join you if that's all right." Ollie's soft voice fills the room and it hits me in the stomach leaving me speechless.

"Oliver, I think the girl is more than capable of grabbing a plate full of food that won't kill you." She quips with an air of arrogance.

My eyes are pulled towards Ollie's green eyes and I watch as he slides his glasses up his narrow nose. It's a gesture I've seen him do a hundred times and it always seemed an Ollie thing to do.