【Chapter 11 Loving the Looks】

Chapter 11 Loving the Looks

After my outburst with the Kade kid, I ended up heading to the back to wash more dishes. I couldn't take the stares from everyone and the pressure inside my chest was building and the numb I was fighting for was losing traction in a war I wanted no part in.

I couldn't face everyone after the words that I had held in for so long had finally escaped like prisoners who had seen natural sunlight after time in solitary. I knew that my reaction to Kade's moves was an overreaction but.

My soul was raw after everything I had been through. I was tired of dealing with boys who thought they were entitled to things they had no right to. I was enraged at what those boys did to Ollie and Kade was a walking talking trigger that I would have been better off ignoring.

I knew my lack of tears at the inner turmoil was bad, but I just wasn't ready yet. I knew there would be a time when it would all come crashing down, but it wasn't today. All I knew was that it would be a long-time coming wreck.

I'd probably lose it at a time when everything was calm, like a sort of sabotage.

I worked the rest of the day in the kitchen doing dishes and avoiding people's stares. I had revealed more than I had wanted to my brother and his friends and I didn't want to rehash it to people who wouldn't understand. It would do no good.

My mind drifted to what Ollie would do. How he would hop up on the counter, loosen his bow tie and straighten his glasses that framed his beautiful bright green eyes. He would become the calm to my inner storm.

He'd cock his head to the side watching the emotions scatter across my face as I gave him a dramatic reenactment of the issue at hand. I would tell the story with my hands waving about allowing the emotions to flow out of me.

And Ollie, he would sit and listen. He'd nod at all the right times and I knew. I knew that he understood me and my hurt. That he knew what had bothered me and that I mattered. He would let me vent without trying to fix it at first.

Then when I would finish my story with an exasperated breath, I would look back at him and he would still be staring at me with that little smile that showcased his dimples. His eyes soft and that one look.

Love.

Then his ever-calm voice, low, would call me over to him.

"PJ, I've got you." And then when I finally made my way over to him, he'd hop off the counter wrap me in his arms and lean his chin on top of my head.

I felt embraced.

Safe.

Heard.

Important.

Loved.

Cherished.

"Parker?" I startled from drying my hands, looking over my shoulder at a waiting Aspen. I missed her question and her expressions tells me that she'd been calling me for some time.

"Our shift is over. Sam and Owen put in their dinner orders. They want you to let Luis know what you want and then they'll make it to go before they take you home for dinner.

"Thanks." I reply before tossing the towel onto the counter and I begin to untie my apron as I try to think of a way to apologize for my outburst earlier. I look up at Aspen meeting her soft gaze.