【Chapter 12 Loving the Shakes... Not so much the wet tee shirt】

Chapter 12 Loving the Shakes... Not so much the wet tee shirt

Sam had pretty much created a consistent schedule for me since my arrival. My summer began with a depression I had never before experienced that ended with spirals and bouts of self-loathing, numbness and drugs. Now, I had my day almost entirely planned. I thought I would loathe having a schedule and expectations of me, but I loved it. Instead of being burdened I felt like I had stability and responsibilities. And I never felt overwhelmed by it.

I guess it was different from what mom had set up for me. The constant photoshoots, interviews for pop magazines, entertainment channels, galas, fundraisers, and gym time were constant. But Sam's schedule was enjoyable. I normally woke an hour before him and headed downstairs for fruit and watched the sun rise in the kitchen before I would begin a journaling session.

Not long after Sam and Owen would join me, and we would head to the diner early and I'd make everyone espressos just like I did on my first day.

Then I would prep the diner in the morning for breakfast, start on dishes and then helped Aspen serve in the afternoons until the evenings. Then Sam would take me home and make us dinner. Usually something he wanted to try out on me before proposing it to Luis as a potential new diner menu option.

And I loved being his official taste tester. I was loving food and looked forward to meals for the first time since I could remember.

After dinner I would head to my room and journal before falling asleep and then repeat. I think the consistency of always being busy at the diner helped chase away my demons which was why I always worked extra hard.

I liked knowing I was good at other things besides what mom pushed me to be good at.

It had been a full week and a half since I blew up at the Kade kid and Aspen and I were at the bar. Aspen was counting our tips as I wiped down the counters before cutting up some more fresh fruit.

"Hun, you are such a quick study. You're already pulling in some big tips. I love working with you. Where have you been all my life?" She jokes flipping her hair back so that she could fan her neck. It was hot today as a heat wave hit us just before noon today. My apron was drenched, and I was grateful I wasn't washing dishes in the hot water in this state.

"Probably New York, or Paris, Mulan." I shrug before grabbing another lime to slice. She looks at me shocked at I answered her before she shoots me an amused smile.

"Hardy har miss "I've been to the best parts of Europe.'" She jokes before handing over my half of the tips. I slip mine in the back of my pocket and she does the same with hers.

"I just answered your question. As a matter of fact, miss Aspen Westbrooke, where have you been all of my life?" I sass back now smirking to myself. I don't hear a response after some time and just as I look up I'm meet with a spray of water straight at the neckline of my black cotton t. I cough at the onslaught of water and as the stream tops I wipe my eyes.

Aspen is holding the water spicket at the bar with a giant shit eating grin.

"What was that Parker Jones, travel extraordinaire?" She gasps with a giggle.

My mouth pops open in shock at Aspen's sass and before I can return the favor Sam comes around the corner.

"What have you two been doing since I last left you?" Sam asks taking me in. He notices my wet shirt and his attention turns to Aspen. His eyebrow curls up and he looks annoyed at the drenched bar.