【Chapter 08 Loving the Sass Around Here】

I never had an after school job besides modeling. I didn't get the chance to work at a fast food restaurant as my first job or babysit the neighbor kids.  But working at Sam's place was how I imagined most of my peers worked when they all went to their jobs after we got out of school.

I loved it.

I had been use to spending time on my feet all day but I was always moving performing a new job inside the kitchen. It was quiet except for the clangs of pots and pans that filled the air with the sizzling grease from the French fries.

It was a relaxed environment and it was filled with absolutely no tension or competition lurking in the corners. I wasn't heading from one shoot to another or sitting in a make up chair for two an a half hours. I was on a plane to another city or another country. I got to relax and let my mind wonder without hiding the emotions that would play across my face.

And it kept me from constantly thinking about Ollie.

Mostly.

I had manage to meet a couple of the chefs named Louis and Jamie. They were incredibly talented and down to earth. I heard them giving each other a hard time as they got started on a couple lunch orders. I couldn't help the growing smile on my face at their antics.

Keeping my head low I head over to wash my hands after seasoning some fries. Aspen and Sam headed out to the dinning area serving the customers. Every once in a while Aspen would bring in a tray of dishes and hand them off to a couple of dish washers who would take care of them.

She always shot me a smile and asked how I was doing.

The pace here was comfortable. And it wasn't something I was used too.

Sam pops his head through the swinging doors his eyes searching the area before they land on me. After a moment he raises his brows and observes my now clean workspace.

"Hey nice work. You doing okay?" He comments softly looking around at the two cooks at the stove a couple feet away.

"Thanks. Yeah." I reply before shaking my rag and examining my work and the entire state of the now clean kitchen.

"Care to pick up some tips on serving customers? Lunch rush is building up." Sam offers. I turn my body to Sam wiping my hands as my brows pop up in surprise.

"Like with people." I hadn't been much of a social butterfly in quite some time and a lunch rush didn't seem like a good starting place to start socializing again.

Sam actually lets out a hardy laugh filled with a deep timbre . His head falls back and his lips turn up in a free smile. He looks so easy going in this moment and I wonder if he was like that with everyone but me. Until now.

"Common Parker." It won't be so bad. Promise. I can help you with a customer and then you can try taking a couple orders yourself. If you feel like you need help while on your own ask Aspen or myself." He offers wiping his hand down his mouth smile still in tact as he shakes his head obviously amused at my reluctance to talk to strangers.

I sigh out loud. Really loud and drag my feet to the door he now holds open for me.

"You're such a teenager." Sam comments jokingly.

I squint my eyes at him as he comes up on my right and he gets a look at my expression as he rolls his eyes as his lips tilt up a little in what looks like a smirk.

"Gosh I was just like you when I was your age." He shakes his head in disbelief.

We reach the bar and he ducks behind  grabbing something on one of the shelves and I reach to retie my apron before rubbing my hands down it a couple times to reassure myself it's clean.

I glance around the dinning area and the place his so fucking full it's insane. It was empty this morning not a soul in sight and now its full along the bar and the tables scattered around full of Moms, dads, elderly couples, single dinners, and teenagers. Tons of people my age take up the two largest tables at the center. A bunch of girls and guys sit around the table like they've been doing it forever and it's clear you can tell they've probably grew up with each other. It was clear, they were the popular kids of this town.

"Sam, I need your help, the tap is stuck again and old man William's is starting to become cranky." Owen comes from the further end of the bar in a rush. He looks down at me and smirks.

"Hey little Jones, nice apron." He replies before turning his head at my brother and his facial expression becomes serious as his brows furrow and his lips turn down.

"I've gotta help Parker-" Sam begins looking down at me as his hands grasp a note pad and pen.

"Fear not boss I've got her. You got get old man Williams a drink and Parker and I will tackle the lot." Aspen comes from behind me her hands on her hips and her white apron stained with ketchup and mustard.

Sam looks back at me clearly divided. I know he's been worried about me and I don't want to add to his already piling plate.

"I'll be in good hands." I tell him before I take his note pad he nods his head assuringly. Probably assuring himself. Owen pulls him away before he can convince himself he still has to help me.

"Hey girl. How's your first day been so far?" Aspen questions pulling out her notepad and wiping just above her brow. I notice its been warming up since this morning and I've been enjoying it.

"Actually it's been pretty good. Until now. I don't really know the whole serving side or really anything about customer service." I warn her as my eyes dart to the two large tables. She catches me looking and nods her head in acknowledgment.

"I hear ya. The first time I served I was really nervous and It always feels kinda nerve racking when its people you go to school with but I got use to it after a while. Sorta. Except when it I have to serve him." Aspen's eyes dart to a brown haired boy who was clearly the most charismatic at the table.

He was tall, lean, and clearly muscled from his biceps that expanded his t-shirt. He exuded confidence and everyone in the proximity had taken noticed. The guy to his right hand blonde hair and blue eyes and was just as good looking. He kicked his feet out and stretched his arms behind his head. The epitome of relaxed and confident. It was like he was look down at everyone around him as though him and the brown haired boy reigned the rest of the tables.

"Your football player?" I ask her as my eyes return to her red face as she pushes her hair into her face.

"The football player." She replies back clearing her throat looking back longing at the brown hair boy.

And I got it. The feeling of having a crush way out of your league.

But I also pursued the hell of out that crush and had the privilege of calling my crush mine.

Until I didn't anymore.

"Well come on, we'll go take their orders. Tag team it?" Aspen asks as I join her on her left. She reaches out her fist for a fist bump. I bump mine with hers and we approach the crowded table. I can't hep but notice my nails. The ones I chewing a few days ago. The color is completely gone and their was coffee grounds on the tips. They were still soft but they weren't pristine anymore. They were no near what what my mother would deem acceptable.

And I was perfectly okay with that.

𝙻𝚒𝚔𝚎, 𝙲𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝, & 𝙼𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚖𝚎. 𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚢 𝚃𝚞𝚗𝚎𝚍 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚊𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙾𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛. 𝙸 𝚞𝚙𝚍𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚃𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙵𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚊𝚢. 𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚞𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚕 𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎, 𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚢 𝙲𝚘𝚘𝚕!

- 𝚂𝚒𝚖𝚙𝚕𝚢𝚁𝚊𝚎𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎