20 | Letters

♫ line without a hook

- rocky montgomery

"Oh, baby, I am a wreck when I'm without you
I need you here to stay..."

Everyone was a little sleepy at breakfast the next morning, to say the least. Priscilla, Nitara, and Cho sat at their usual seat at the far corner of the Great Hall, eating away at their breakfasts in comfortable silence. Nitara was downing as many cups of coffee as she could; she had been up all night finishing her book on the history of magical journalism. Cho didn't bother touching her food, she sat back and stared at the starry ceiling with her chin to the sky and taking deep breaths. Priscilla was picking away at her nailbeds under the table, watching each owl swoop past with anticipation for a letter from either Cedric or Viktor.

"What a sight this is, Freddie," George said loudly as the two approached the table with Lee.

Fred nodded. "I'll say, I've never seen them so bloody quiet," he replied. He leaned down and waved his hands in front of Priscilla's face, who only squinted in response, trying to maintain her good look at the owls flying above. "Yep, this one's broken. Hold on," he picked Priscilla up by the waist and hauled her over his shoulder.

"Fred! FRED!"  she shrieked as he spun and jumped, shaking her in his strong arms. His booming laughter filled the hall and George and Lee joined in with glee. The other two girls couldn't seem to care less, so stuck in their own thoughts to dedicate thought to another Weasley antic.

When Fred playfully squeezed her bum when nobody else was looking, Priscilla had about enough. "Fred, you jackass, put me down!" Priscilla said, banging her fist on his back.

"Fred Weasley! That's no way to treat a lady!" Angelina Johnston heckled from the Gryffindor table.

Lee chuckled and crossed his arms. "Best listen to what the lady says, mate."

Fred surrendered and finally put her down on the ground. She didn't waste any time once she caught her bearings, she smacked him hard on the arm, causing him to yelp. "What was that for?" he replied with mock hurt, rubbing his throbbing arm.

"I'm waiting for some important mail, you idiot!" Priscilla scolded. "It could be here any minute!"

Plop!

Everyone turned to look at Priscilla's bowl of oatmeal, which now had the corner of a letter in it. "Fuck!" she exclaimed, running to get the parchment out quickly before the ink could bleed. It only egged the boys on further, laughing at her misfortune.

"Who's it from, Cilla? Is it -" Nitara thought better than to ask about Cedric in front of Cho after their conversation the previous night, so she cleared her throat before continuing. "Is it from Krum?"

Cilla broke the seal and opened the letter, scanning it quickly, not caring that the oatmeal still stuck to it in certain places. "Yeah, yeah! He says he'll be here this weekend and he can help me out with quidditch!"

"That's awesome, Cilly!" George said with a smile.

Fred chuckled,  wrapped his arms around his girlfriend's waist, and propped his chin on her shoulder. "Don't tell Ron though. The poor git will go mad when he finds out Krum is tutoring you."

Lee smirked and wiggled his eyebrows. "Hey, Dayal, looks like you got one too!" George smacked him upside the head and gave him a warning look, which Priscilla noticed but didn't think much of. Those boys were in their own world.

"WHAT?!" Nitara squeaked, looking at the sky frantically for a swooping owl. "Is it my internship application? Did I get it? Am I a failure?!"

Cho shook her head and got up from the table, giving a little wave as she did. "I'll see you all later, it's too loud and I've got a headache," she said quietly. She walked over to the entrance of the Great Hall and left with her Ravenclaw friend Marietta for class.

Nitara hadn't even noticed, while everyone else was waving goodbye to gloomy Cho she was too focused on her letter. Once she looked down and realized it had been on her lap the whole time, she ripped the seal open as everyone watched in anticipation. Her frantic expression morphed from a confused one to a passive one. "Oh. It's just rubbish," she said, tossing it over her shoulder.

Priscilla darted around the table and snatched the letter before it could fall to the ground. "What d'you mean, rubbish?" she replied in her horrible fake British accent, making her friends cringe. "Holy crap, Nini, this is a love letter!" Priscilla began jumping up and down in excitement, holding the letter out to the boys for proof.

"If it's not the response about the internship or word from Cedric, I don't care-"

"What do you mean you don't care, you didn't even read it! Hold on," Priscilla cleared her throat and stood on the table, making Nitara sink back into her seat with embarrassment.

"Dear Dayal,

You are mighty pretty,

this might be silly,

and I don't want to be scary,

but maybe I'll see you in the library!"

Nitara yanked the letter from Cilla's hands and read it over again. "I don't have a date with Cho in the library today, maybe it was delayed in the post..."

"Or it's from someone else!" Lee said mischievously, gaining him another glare from George.

Cilla clapped her hands together in excitement. "We have to find out who it is!"

"No, we don't," Nitara insisted. She tossed the letter on the table and cast incendio on it, making it burst into a soft flame and curl at the ends until it was nothing but ash. "I need to focus on school and my future, I can't be worrying about letters and libraries and cute little poems."

George straightened his back a bit at her words. "So you think the poem is cute?"

"Well, duh!" Priscilla replied. "I can't believe it, my best friend has a secret admirer!"

The group continued to laugh and joke about the letters for the rest of breakfast, not giving a damn about their volume in the Great Hall. At the Slytherin table, Delphine and Theo watched the situation unfold in silence from where they sat away from the rest of the Slytherins. Instead of flirting up a storm with anything with a heartbeat and a green robe on, Theo now held hands with Delphine in silence.

"What's her deal, anyway? I don't see why everyone likes her so much. She's not that pretty," Pansy complained from where she sat with her usual group, stabbing at her breakfast omelet and shooting glares at the new new girl in Slytherin.

Blaise nodded silently in agreement. "She's not his type," he pointed out quietly.

"Not to mention she's a friend of the stupid mudblood," Draco spat with his usual scowl. "What's her blood status anyway? Is she a rat too?"

Pansy glared in Delphine's direction. "I don't know and I don't care. We have to get Theo out of there... Oooh, that rhymed!"