Writing On the Wall

When I woke up from my nap, Harry was laying half on top of me, half off the bed. His feet dangled off the side, and his curls were sprawled across my chest, tickling my neck. I giggled softly at him, and he drew in a sharp breath, indicating he woke up.

He rotated his head sleepily, setting his chin on my collarbone. He blinked slowly, shaking off the last tendrils of sleep still clinging to him. I laughed at him.

“What?” he asked, his eyes only half open.

“Look at yourself,” I said. He turned his head, just noticing his feet in the air and his head on top of me. He chuckled.

“I may have moved a little,” he said, kissing my jaw.

“Ya think?” I stated sarcastically, rolling my eyes and smiling at Harry. He grinned back, before falling out of the bed and putting his clothes back on. I did the same, and caught him staring once or twice.

I slapped his arm playfully, and he shrugged, as if to say, “What can you do?”

I threw on a nicer shirt and jean shorts, taking a deep breath. I was going home.

And my mom was going to kill me.

I said we would be gone for a bit, not months. She was probably worried sick; I was surprised she hadn’t called the police and filed a missing report.

Harry wrapped his arms around my waist, assuring me it was going to be okay. I smiled wryly at him, my heart not really in it.

We went to get Nessa, who was playing with her toys in the guest room. She looked up and grinned when we walked in, and I tugged her off the floor.

“Where’re we going, Charlie?” she asked, and I held her hand.

“To see mommy,” I told her, and she looked confused. It passed quickly, though, and she jumped up and down.

“Mommy, mommy, mommy!” she exclaimed, pulling me towards the door. I laughed, and grabbed Harry’s hand as we were tugged to the car. We slid in, and Harry drove to my house. We parked along the curb, and I sighed. The house looked strange, almost like it wasn’t my home anymore.

I hopped out of the car, helping Nessa down from the backseat. Harry walked with us to the door, but once we knocked, he began to turn away. I caught his hand, and laced my fingers through his.

He looked at me questioningly, silently asking if I was sure. I nodded once, and he squeezed my hand gently.

“Up, Uncle Harry!” Nessa said, holding her arms in the air so she could be lifted off the ground. Harry let me go for a second, placed Nessa on his hip, and threaded my fingers through his once more.

Finally, someone came to the door.

It was my mom, looking distraught. Her eyes widened when she saw me. “Charlie,” she mouthed, and brought me in for a bone crushing hug.

“I’m so sorry, mom,” I whispered in her ear. “I’m so sorry.”

“As long as you’re back,” she replied, not letting me go. Eventually, she pulled away. “Where were you?”

I gulped. “We went on a little vacation, and lost track of time…” I trailed off, begging her to forgive me. She nodded, her eyes brimming with tears.

She looked behind me at Nessa and Harry, and her eyes widened. “God. If I didn’t know you I would’ve assumed you were a family.” She chuckled humorlessly.

Nessa had fallen asleep in Harry’s arms, and he was swaying slightly back and forth subconsciously. I couldn’t help thinking he would be a great dad someday. I grinned at him, and he poked his tongue at me. My mom finally seemed to catch on. She glanced down at our hands, and her mouth formed an ‘o’.

“So you two…” she trailed off, and raised a brow. I rolled my eyes. She nodded, smiling knowingly. Then, she stepped back, gesturing for us to come into the house. She hugged us all, including Harry, and let a few tears loose.

“I love you,” she whispered. “You had me so worried, I didn’t know where you were…”

My throat burned, and I fought hard to hold back my tears. “I’m so sorry,” was all I could manage.

“Just remember I love you,” she replied, pulling away. She walked to the kitchen, and paused in the doorway. “Who wants tea?”

I said yes, and so did Harry. Nessa was still asleep in his arms, and he carried her to the couch. She sprawled across it, leaving Harry and I to sit on the floor.

I leaned against the wall, and Harry’s arm slid around my shoulders. He kissed my temple, pulling me towards him. I rested my head on his chest.

We stayed like that for some time, before I started to wonder what was taking my mom so long with the tea. I got out of Harry’s grasp, treading lightly to the kitchen. “Mom?” I called. She didn’t answer.

I reached the kitchen doorway cautiously, not seeing my mom near the stove. I frowned, and peered into the room.

Across the wall, in bright red letters, was a message. 

“Is your birdie having fun?” it read.

“Harry!” I shrieked, grabbing the counter. I walked around the island, and there was my mom, her throat slit, lying in a pool of her own blood.

Bile rose in my throat, and my knees gave way, unconsciousness swallowing me whole.

______________________________

a/n:  DON'T SHOOT DON'T SHOOT

when i wrote this the first time not even joking i was bawling.  i know a lot of the content doesn't make much sense realistically (like whose mom is just gonna be like "oh baby i'm so glad youre home it doesn't matter that you basically disappeared for months) but from my perspective i couldn't handle a mother/daughter fight right before this shit happens like ok hello guilt

so i improvised i know its not realistic but whatevs its a fanfic

also i really hated writing this but from an authours pov it made the most sense at the time

it's also been a year since i actually wrote this story so i wasn't as good of a writer then... don't kill me pls

thank you all for putting up with me i know im shit at updating i need help with that lol

vote/comment pls it gives me inspiration :D