Killshot

The rest of the morning went by in a flurry of preparations. Harry and I changed into fighting gear, which included thick jeans and shirts, to help protect us. The rest of the gang ran around the house collecting weapons or their own gear.

It was organized chaos.

When we were about to leave, a higher walked out to meet us. He left after saying two words, "Stay alive."

And then we were gone.

We took cars, parking a ways away from the house. We climbed out stealthily, and I stood next to Harry, taking a deep breath.

Long buried memories flashed before my eyes, all containing my mother.

Her brushing my hair as I played dress up.

Her making me lunch.

Her laughing at Nessa trying to crawl.

And finally her telling me she loved me.

My breath caught, and Harry glanced at me worriedly. I smiled halfheartedly at him, and he quirked a corner of his mouth in return.

Rage boiled up inside of me. Why did it have to come to this? Why did Shane have to go out of his way to make everyone's lives miserable?

My fists clenched, my mouth forming a hard line. He had no right. None.

This would be my revenge. My mom would have wanted me to take action, and not let her death be for nothing.

This was for my mother.

"Ready?" Harry asked, taking my hand.

I nodded once. "As I'll ever be."

He handed me a gun and two knives, as well as extra bullets for the gun. He took the same for himself, and we followed the creeping line of people to the surrounding trees.

Harry pulled me to a large pine, and we hid under its needles with the rest of the gang sliding along.

"I can't let anything happen to you," Harry whispered. His eyes showed me he was torn about letting me go.

"Worry about yourself first," I replied. "Then me. I have to do this."

He nodded, but I could tell he still wasn't sure. I pecked his lips, and rejoined the crowd, not looking to see if he was behind me. Soon after, I felt his hand in mine once more, and we walked like that to the house.

"On my mark, we run to the back door," someone said. We all nodded, kneeling in the edge of the brush. "Ready, now."