Chapter 18

I heard honking outside and went out to see Scott with a rusty brown van. "I have our time travel machine!" He exclaimed happily. I shot Steve a look, and he shrugged. "Let's get it inside, Scott," Steve said.

-

"Okay, here we go, time travel test number one. Scott, fire up the, uh...the van thing," I strolled into the room, seeing a pulsating tunnel in the back of Scott's van. "Breakers are set. Emergency generators are on standby. With a bit of luck, we won't take out half the lights in Brooklyn," I said. "Good, because if we blow the grid, I don't want to lose, uh, tiny here in the 1950s," Bruce mumbled. Steve had an almost wistful smile on his face. "Excuse me?" Scott asked nervously.

"He's kidding. You can't say things like that," Bruce stuttered something along the lines of it being a bad joke. "You got something to tell us, Steve?" I asked, causing him to jump slightly. "Oh, it's just when they first made me into a Super Soldier, Howard said the same thing," he admitted. "You were kidding, right?" Tasha asked quietly. "I have no idea. I mean, we're talking about time travel here. Either it's all a joke or none of it is. We're good!" Bruce gave Scott a thumbs-up.

"Get your helmet on. Scott, I'm gonna send you back a week, let you walk around for an hour, then bring you back in 10 seconds. Make sense?" Bruce asked. "Perfectly not confusing," Scott said, waving his hand. "Good luck, Scott," I said. "You got this," Cap added. "You're right. I do, Captain America and Snakebite," God, I hadn't heard that name in years.

Scott was sucked backward into the van thing, presumably going back in time. "On the count of three. Three...two...one!" I shifted my weight from foot to foot, anxious. "Uh, guys? This--this doesn't feel right," it was Scott, but it wasn't Scott. "What is this? What's going on? Is that Scott?" We asked. "Yes, it's Scott!" 'Scott' said.

He got sucked back in, returning as an...an old man. "Oh! My back!" Old Scott exclaimed. "Can you bring him back?" Steve dragged me to the side near Tasha as Bruce flipped a bunch of switches. This time, Scott--I think--was a baby. "It's a baby," Steve said, in slight disbelief.

 "It's Scott!" Bruce pointed out. "As a baby!" I said, alarmed. "He'll grow," he defended. "Bring Scott back!" Steve ordered. "When I say kill the power, kill the power," he said, Tasha darting over to the kill switch, muttering 'Oh, my god,' while she was at it.

"Kill it!" She yanked the lever, and Scott--as Scott- returned. "Somebody peed my pants," he announced. "Oh, thank god," I muttered. "But I don't know if it was baby me or old me. Or just...me me," Scott admitted. "Time travel!" Bruce said proudly, holding out his arms. 

Steve raised his brows, closing his eyes and looking away, a look of shock and disbelief with a hint of annoyance etched into his face. "What? I see this as an absolute win!" Bruce exclaimed, and I pinched the bridge of my nose with a sigh. "We may not have unlocked the secret to time travel, but we did stumble onto unlocking the secret of immortality," I pointed out. "Huh?" Scott asked. "Well, if someone grows old, we can just send them back in time and, boom, they're young again," the others were giving me odd looks.

 "Hypothetically. You know what? All these time shennagigans are messing with my head. I'm gonna get some air,"

 I'm gonna get some air,"