Chapter 29

The collision of the two armies was catastrophic. I tightened my grip on Mjolnir, slamming down in front of a legion of enemies and slamming the weapon into the ground, lightning frying them. Lightning flashed through the air, everyone giving it their all to defend the universe. I could see Tony and Pepper teaming up, Cap ricocheting his shield against everyone, and in the middle of the battle, a reunion.

"I'm proud of you, kid," Cap said as I landed next to him. "I'm twenty-five, Cap. If I'm a kid you're a grandpa," I replied, and he grinned as he panted. "Still, you're wielding the power of a god," he said. "What? Do you want a turn? No, seriously, take it. I have my katana. We'll hot-potato it," I said, tossing it to him. I took off, slicing through enemies as I saw them being sucked into the ground.

I landed near Strange, seeing his face battered and covered in dust. "Hey, Doc, you said one out of fourteen million, right? Tell me this is it. Please. I wanna go home," I said. "If I tell you what happens, it won't happen," he said, sounding almost distraught. "You better be right about this," I warned him. "Clint, give it to me," I heard T'Challa over comms as I cut something--a Chitauri I think--in half.

Blue energy beams rained from the sky, and I watched, terrified as Tony shoved Cap out of the way before being launched backward, landing on Thanos' weapon. My gut twisted into knots, but I couldn't focus on that. I soared towards a nearby shield, narrowly avoiding the energy beam. "Who are you?" Tanya--I think--asked. "I'm Ellie. You're Tanya, right?" I asked, and she nodded. "Help! Somebody help!" 

"Hey, Queens!" Mjolnir flew across the battlefield, Spider-Man attached to it. I soared towards him, dodging the beams and catching him as he fell to the ground. "Hey, kid," I greeted, lowering him to the ground. "M-Miss Barton?" he stuttered. "No, Mr. Rogers. Yes, of course, it's me. Good to see you alive," I said.

The beams stopped suddenly, the weapons aiming at the clouds and firing. Explosions detonated from inside the ship, taking it out as a bright light appeared, landing in front of Peter. "I don't know how you're gonna get through all that," he told the bright light, which turned out to be Carol. "Don't worry," Wanda said, landing nearby as the pegasi women and Okoye and a bunch of other women arrived. "She's got help," Tanya said, pulling out her knives.

I soared toward the enemies, a particularly hard blast sending me flying into some rubble. As I pushed it off, the gauntlet landed in front of me. Thanos ran for it, but I barrelled into his side, knocking him away. He elbowed me in the face with a lot of force, Thor and Cap leaping into battle and trying to lop his head off. My vision was super blurry, but I could make out a light fighting Thanos before soaring across the field with a purple pulse.

I got on my hands and knees, looking up at Strange. His hand shook as he raised a single finger. This was it. This was the one in fourteen million. And I knew what I had to do.

Thanos set the Power Stone back into his gauntlet, energy flooding his veins. I ran up, grabbing the glove before he could snap his fingers again. He kneed me in the stomach, punching me in the side of the head before ripping me off and flinging me away. "I am inevitable," he sneered, clicking his fingers.

But nothing happened. He gasped, flipping the gauntlet over to see the stones were missing. When he had flung me away, I had dislodged the stones from their spots. I got on my hands and knees, the stones sliding into place on my glove. Pure energy surged through my arm, my veins feeling like they were on fire.

Thanos gaped at me, horrified. I was tired, I was battered, I was bruised, and I was determined. He would take no more lives, he would cause no more pain. This was his legacy; failure by the hands of everyone he had wronged during his massacre. My mind screamed one thought.

Bring back Tanya's best friend. Destroy Thanos and his army completely. But save Thanos for last. I want him to know how it feels to be powerless to stop yourself from losing everything.

"You're right. Snakebite can't stop you. But I can,"

Snap.