Chapter 30

I stumbled, leaning against some of the broken facility. Ginny ran over, kneeling in front of me. "I'm sorry," I whispered. "No. No. Don't be," she said as Misha, the girl I had been helping for two years grow, ran over. "Miss Barton? Hey, Miss Barton? Can you hear me?" I nodded slightly.

 "It's Misha. We won. We won, Miss Barton. We won, Miss Barton. We won, you did it, ma'am, you did it. I'm sorry. Ellie," I reached out, grabbing her hand. "It's alright, Misha. Everything is going to be okay," I told her softly. Tears were streaming down her face, Ginny gently pulling her away as Clint kneeled in front of me. "Hey, dad," I whispered. "I'm sorry,"

"No, no, no. Y-You're gonna be alright," he said, and I smiled slightly. "It's okay. It's okay," I assured him. Pain engulfed my entire body. But I couldn't break. Not in front of him.

There were so many things I wanted to say, but I didn't have the time. I wanted to tell him that I wasn't scared of what was to come. I wanted to ask him to take care of Nat, to make sure she remembers her mama. I wanted to thank him for letting me be a part of his family. But I couldn't.

All of a sudden, fear struck my heart. It was only right. Fear of death is such a human...flaw. Human nature. And yet, this was the only time I was scared--when it was too late.

Of course. Fate worked in strange ways. People aren't always the same. But there's one thing that will never change. Fate--fate is inevitable.

I wanted to pour my heart out to him. But there wasn't time. I wanted to assure him I was fine, I was just going to sleep for a long time. But I didn't have the strength. So I left him with one, simple message.

"I'll tell her we won,"