Chapter 23

"Alright, Ellie. When and where do you want to go?" Bruce asked as we entered the hanger, where the time-travel port was. "Um..." I trailed off, thinking of where I wanted to go. "4601 Freedom Drive, Charlotte, North Carolina on November 24th, 2006," I said, a moment popping into my head. "What's so significant about then and there?" Steve asked.

"It's personal," I admitted. "You can tell us, it's okay," Rhodey said. "I'd really rather not," I denied. "Okay. Going in three, two, one..." I shrank to a minuscule size, soaring through atoms until I came across a blue tube thing. I popped out in a forest, retracting the suit as I panted, looking around. 

I headed toward the sound of voices, finding a ceremony where there was an open casket. I went invisible, creeping up and grabbing one of the medals pinned onto my mother's chest. "I'm sorry, mom. I love you," I whispered. I walked to behind the ceremony, spotting a young girl, no older than eight, staring numbly at a fixated point. I knew who it was instantly.

Eight-year-old me, who had been dragged out of bed early in the morning without any warning and brought to a field where there was a big black box that they put in the ground underneath a stone that had her momma's name on it. I watched as they lowered the casket into the ground, my younger self wandering towards the road. A car was approaching, but she didn't notice. I took off, running towards her. "Kid! Hey, kid! Kid!" I shot back to the port and falling to the ground since I returned in mid-motion.

"Hey, hey. Look at me, you're alright," Nat said, helping me up as the others ran over. "Yeah, yeah. I-It worked. It worked," I tossed the medal to Tony, who caught it in his hands.

 It worked," I tossed the medal to Tony, who caught it in his hands

a/n One question--Where's LOLA?