Impossible?

Running down the stairs, little Marleen jumped in the arms of her big brother.
''Hey, princess. How were you doing without your brother?'' He asked her.
''I missed you, but school was fun.'' She grinned while talking. Her seven year old self was excited to see her brother. He came back for holidays after his first year of college.

''You didn't miss me?'' A voice behind Eugen, her brother, was heard. Marleen's eyes widened and she jumped from her brother's arms and hugged her favourite person. Seth smiled at his little munchkin and hugged her tightly.
''I missed you too.'' She shyly said and blushed. Seth kissed her cheeks and took out a gift for her.
''I bought you something.'' He said. She opened small box and gasped at the necklace with emerald diamond.
''I love it.'' She squealed.

Marleen played with her necklace that she wore for the past ten years. She was already a grown up girl that never stopped dreaming about her prince charming. And that was Seth. She was in love with him for the past ten years, but of course, who would love the girl twelve years younger? Their age gap didn't bother Marleen, but it bothered Seth. He was living in the other city just so he can't see Marleen to stir up his feelings again.

When he saw her the last time, she was sixteen. He loved her carefree personality, but he also loved when she was shy to him. Why did he have to fall in love with the impossible girl? And on top of that, his best friend's sister. But feelings can't be forced and even if Seth knew that, he still pushed them away. Marleen didn't want to give up, yet Seth showed her that it's not worth waiting for him.

Now, for her eighteen birthday, he will be there. That made her nervous. She had to get out of her room and face the reality. Her mother's knocking broke her out of her daze and she got up. Her family was rich and Marleen had big party prepared downstairs. She opened her door and revealed her mother that was standing there with proud face.

''My little girl isn't so little anymore.'' Her mother beamed and hugged her. Marleen smiled and started walking down the stairs with her mother. She had beautiful sea green dress that matched her necklace. Her hair was styled in loose waves and her makeup suited her eyes. She was indeed beautiful looking and everybody noticed that, especially one particular person.

''You look beautiful, baby sis. Happy birthday.'' Eugen hugged his sister.
''Thank you.'' Marleen smiled.
''Happy birthday, auntie Marleen.'' Dalton, her three years old nephew, squealed. She laughed and picked him up.
''Thank you, Dal. You look handsome today.'' She teased him and kissed his cheek.
''Mommy said I need to be handsome today.'' He said.

''Happy birthday, Marleen.'' Eugen's wife Dakota said.
''Thank you.'' Marleen replied. She let down her nephew and went to greet some other people who were invited. Her father was proud of his daughter that she grow up in such a beautiful woman. He made sure she was provided with everything she needs.

When Marleen excused herself to some guests she talked to, she almost bumped into Seth.
''Hello, Marleen.'' He greeted too formally for her.
''Hey, Seth.'' She forced a smile.
''Happy birthday. You are gorgeous tonight.'' He complimented her and made her blush.
''Thank you. How are you doing?'' She decided to make a conversation.

''Work is stressful sometimes, but I manage.''
''That's good then. So no girlfriend yet?'' She teased him with intention to find out if he has someone.
''No. Any boyfriend for you?'' His eyes darkened when he mentioned that matter. He didn't want her to have anyone besides him however he couldn't tell her that.
''Soon, I hope so. If someone is interested in me.'' She answered slyly thinking about him, but he didn't understand that she was teasing him.

''Well, I hope you find someome who will take care of you like you deserve.'' He answered coldly. At his words, Marleen's heart squeezed with pain. She didn't want to admit how harsh his words felt.
''Yeah. I should go.'' She said, suppressing her tears to not smear her makeup. She didn't want to look ugly and sad tonight.
''Yeah.'' He said.