The Whimpers

The door to the cottage in the woods slammed shut as Charlie entered the small house. Sounds greeted her, but her mind was fogged after thinking about what Miles had said about their past. Sometimes I regret marrying you. The words stung more than she thought they would. Never did she think those words were going to come out of her soulmate's mouth. Were they even soulmates? Was there someone who was meant for her to marry? Maybe the man her mother had arranged for her. The one she ran from before meeting.

Why did he have to say that? Why couldn't it have been something not so hurtful? Miles didn't exactly say that he regretted marrying her, he only said that he sometimes regretted it. God, just thinking about it made Charlie's heart shrink. She heard a voice call out for her once again, but she only continued to wallow in her thoughts. Charlie threw away everything for him. Her family, her future, her life. He gave everything to her too. A home, a new family, and happiness. Did he want it back?

Of course, he wanted it back. If he could reverse time, he would. Go back to his old wife, his son, his farm. Charlie wished she could reverse time too. Go back to when her father was alive, to when her mother wasn't as strict, and when Winnie was still here. Winnie, the only person in this world that could keep Charlie grounded. The sweetest person this world has ever seen. Charlie's hand slowly reached into the bag she kept by her side and lifted the small gift Joseph had given her. The girl's fingers slowly and gently opened the music box, only to be reminded of the familiar tune that she had heard so many decades ago.

"Is that the music box?" Mae's voice quietly made its way into Charlie's ears as the girl nodded, tears brimming her eyes. Angus and Mae stood together across the room from Charlie, letting her have space as she finally began to register all of the moments she missed with Winnie.

Charlie breathed in heavily as she lifted her arm to wipe at her tears that were now spilling down her cheeks. "Miles and I had a rough day." Charlie laughed sadly as she choked on her tears. Mae slowly approached the girl and placed a delicate hand on her shoulder. "Kerena is trying to expose your secret to everyone. I met one of Winnie's descendants who was the kindest boy. Miles said he regretted marrying me." Charlie heaved as Angus quickly approached the girl and hugged her in a tight and loving hug.

Angus gently hugged the girl as he felt her breakdown in his arms. "Do you want to talk about it?" Angus asked gently as Charlie nodded her head quickly as Angus pulled away from the hug and placed his hands on her shoulders. "Let's go fishing. I know a quiet spot." Angus suggested as Charlie smiled weakly and followed her in-law out the door, setting the music box on a shelf in the cottage so it wouldn't get destroyed. After the two left, Mae took a deep breath and thought about how dumb her son was.