The Scaramouch

My eyes fluttered awake to see Miles above me, leisurely reading a book on the history of math. "Good morning." I yawned as I realized that I was rested in Miles's lap. My head quickly shot up as I sat a bit far from Miles on the couch.

Miles eyes looked into mine. "It's 9 o'clock. Everyone already went to sleep." Miles explained as I studied his book.

"Math, huh?" I asked, trying to start a conversation. "Do you enjoy academics?" Miles nodded as silence surrounded us again. This was starting to become a pretty awkward night. "Let's go to the fair."

Miles was taken aback by this. "Why?" He asked, trying to think of a way to avoid going to the fair.

"It's the fair, Miles! C'mon get your shoes on!" I urged as he finally gave in and started getting ready. I looked to my side and saw a blue dress next to other clothes. A note was placed onto them nicely saying that they were for me. I raced to the bathroom with the clothes and quickly changed, placing my current dress with the rest of the laundry.

I rush out of the bathroom and see that Miles is gone, so I went outside. While adjusting my flower crown, I heard a voice. "Going somewhere?"

I whipped around to see Angus, looking very tired as he sat in a rocking chair with a fishing pole in his grip. "Nope!" I quickly replied, slowly turning around.

"Uh-hu." Angus said, seeing through my scheme. I finally gave in.

"Nowhere special!" Angus nodded and continued to fish. Well, sort of fish. His fishing pole was in the middle of the front yard, peeking out over the grass. "Mr. Tuck?" I asked as I walked near him.

Angus looked away from his fishing rod. "Oh, call me Angus."

I nodded. "Okay. Mr. Angus? You do know that in order to actually catch a fish, you need water, right?" My hands fumbled around a bit as I tried to think about whether or not he was crazy.

Angus let out a loud laugh from the diaphragm. "Good tip. No I'm out here working on my technique, what's your alibi?"

I've heard that phrase before. Father used to use it when I was a child. "My alibi?" Although, I forgot what it meant.

Angus raised a brow. "That's Latin, for why are you sneaking out of my house." Angus explained as I scratched the back of my neck, thinking of a lie.

"Oh, I was just getting some fresh air!" I smiled as I looked around, hoping Miles would come soon.

Angus laughed. "I bet you were!" He smiled as he sat back down. Then, he started to mumble under his breath. "One. Two."

"Come on! Let's go before-" Miles said as he raced over to me, a coat and bag in his hands. Wrong time. I pointed behind him as Angus stood back up, crossing his arms.

Miles immediately tensed up. "This must be your fresh air." Angus chuckled as he looked at us.

"Pa, I know what this looks like." Miles explained as he handed me the coat and bag.

"This outta be good." A groan escaped from his lips as Miles fumbled on his words.

So, I spoke for him. "He's taking me to the fair!" Miles immediately slapped his hand over my mouth.

Angus bursted into laughter. "Oh! He is, is he?" Angus walked towards us as Miles stood in-between us.

"Please Pa! She's our guest, the least I can do is show her a good time." Angus thought for a moment as I looked at Miles with sad eyes.

"Your mother won't like this!" Angus commented as I sighed. The Tucks looked over at me as I started to tear up.

Miles slowly placed his hand on my shoulder. "It's okay. We don't have to go." I sighed as I lowered my head, acting like a sad puppy. "I just wanted to go eat funnel cakes, and play carnival games."

"Well now I wanna go." Angus sighed as he nodded at us, making us both smile. "You can go."

Within ur excitement, I let something slip. "My father used to love the fair too." I laughed as the boys grew curious.

Miles was the first to speak. "What do you mean he used to?" I grew sad as I realized what I said. My head lowered to the ground as Angus nodded.

"Oh go already!" Angus said as he pushed us into the direction of the fair. "I mean it. Have fun for old times sake. As long as you keep an extra low profile!" Miles quickly ran back and hugged Angus. Angus pushed him toward the fair.

"Now get outta here before you-know-who catches me catching you, and I get in trouble!" Angus yelled after us as we ran into the woods.

My hair whipped around. "Thank you Mr. Angus!" I turned back to Miles as we both run to the fair, hand in hand.

When we are halfway through the woods, I hear something. "Would you please just call me Angus?"