The Stars

We managed to escape into the woods, where Miles found a nice tree to sit under. The stars filled the dark sky as I stayed close to him, shaking from the scare that occured a few minutes before. "I was so afraid we wouldn't get away." I mumbled as I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

"No, no, it's okay. I may be a hundred and seven, but I can outrun anyone." Miles boasted quietly as he leaned against the tall oak tree.

I was overcome with emotions. "I'm so sorry." I apologised as I held my head in my hands. "I tried to warn you."

Silence filled the air as Miles sat closer to me. "It's okay. It's nice to have somebody looking out for me who isn't Ma." Miles smiled as he threw his arm over my shoulder.

"Miles, listen. That man came by my house this morning. He heard the music box." I explained as Miles looked at the grass with sadness in his eyes. "He knows about you."

We both looked up at each other and locked eyes. His brown eyes filled me with hope, hope that nothing would happen to him or his family. "I know he knows. Guess the family reunion's over early. Wouldn't be the first time." Miles sighed as I felt his breath on my face. He fumbled through his bag and grabbed the coat he had packed earlier. The Tuck threw the brown coat over my head and shoulders to protect me from the cold air.

"But you just got here. You're the first real friend I've made in-"

"Forever?"

"Yes." I answered honestly as Miles chuckled.

"Believe me, I know." Miles agreed as we looked into each other's eyes again.

The sounds of nature surrounded us as I looked at Miles's curly hair. "So, is this goodbye then?" I asked as Moles cupped my face with his hands. We both leaned in a bit, our faces an inch apart.

"Maybe not. Listen, Ma and Pa, they don't know how to enjoy anything anymore. They're stuck in the past. But you. You thought it was amazing to go to a fair! Imagine seeing the Eiffel Tower, the Egyptian Pyramids-" Miles explained as I grinned.

"The world!" I cheered as he nodded.

A wide grin cascaded over Miles's face. "Exactly!" Out of excitement, I pecked Miles on the lips. I was left a blushing mess, while he covered up his face. He looked ashamed, yet happy. Miles stood up and held out his hand to me. "Let's dance." I took his offer and we both waltzed.

After a while, I turned around to see Miles on one knee. "April, May, June, July. A sunday when the chapel is free? True love is in short supply. Darling, Charlie. Marry me?" Miles proposed as he looked up at me. I smiled as we both continued to dance.

As soon as we grew tired, I looked towards Miles. "How can I be with you if I'm not immortal?"

"Well, you'll just have to drink the water." Miles said as we sat back down.

I raised a brow towards the boy. "What if I forget where the spring is?"

Miles thought for a moment. "I'll make Jesse go get some water and you can drink it. You and Winnie."

"You make the world sound so exciting, Miles! Although, I won't make Winnie drink the water." I decided, placing my foot down. "I want her to live her life, have a home, a job, a caring family."

Miles sighed. "I understand, but you will still drink the water, right?"

"Yes."

We both stood up and started walking back to the cottage. The stars twinkled as my new life was about to form.