The Sisters

The ribbon was tied tightly around my waist as I placed a flower crown on my head. My mother was making me try on my wedding dress options. I was to get married to a stranger soon. Winnie came into the room wearing a colorful dress.

The room was silent as I looked at the plain dress. I hated it. "Come here, Winnie," I commanded as Winnie ran up to me. I kneeled down to her height and looked at her. She had a curious expression on her face. "Don't grow up too fast."

Winnie smiled and raced me downstairs, only to see that our mother had her eyes closed and Nanna was asleep. "Okay, mother, you can open your eyes now!" Winnie cheered as mother opened her eyes. "Surprise!"

Mother was confused, to say the least. "I don't understand." She looked to each of us for answers.

"We can't wear black all the time! How is Winnie supposed to go to the fair in black?"

"Fair?" Mother asked as she stood from her seat.

Winnie grinned brightly. "The fair is in town! Can we go?" Nanna suddenly jolted awake in confusion.

"Surprise!" Nanna yelled as I walked over to her and calmed her down.

"You're a little late, Nanna," I mumbled as everyone looked at Nanna.

"Oh, did she say yes?" Nanna asked as we both looked to Mother.

Mother stood in front of the front door of our small white cottage and gave us an answer. "I'm sorry you two, but no. It has not been a year since your father's funeral. We can't be seen in public caring as if nothing has happened."

"But nothing does happen. Not anymore." Winnie complained as she made me stand up and twirl in our dresses, laughing.

"Please march on back upstairs and put your proper attire back on." Mother pleaded as we continued to spin and jump around the room.

Nanna was tired. "Oh, Betsy."

"I told you she'd never let us have any fun," I complained to Nanna as she stood up.

Nanna was definitely on our side. "Forget your potato peeling Betsy, we want cotton candy!"

"We have fun every day!" Mother argued as Winnie grew angry.

"Father would have taken me to the fair!" Winnie blurted out in frustration.

"I know. But things are different now. And if you can't be a good girl, for me, Winnie, then at least try to be a good girl for him." Mother explained to Winnie as I stood with Nanna.

"Yes, mother." Winnie sighed as she headed back upstairs.

Mother frowned. "Good girl." Our eyes made eye-contact as she walked over to me. "It's perfect."

"It's plain is what it is," Nanna complained as she looked at me. "Try on that blue dress."

"No. You will wear this dress at your wedding." Mother argued as I raced outside to get some fresh air as my guardians argued.

I'm trapped in a house of sad and lonely. On a street named main, but you could call it only. Is it rude to say I'd volunteer for a day of fun just once a year? I'd fly the coup if only I could. But I've got a really bad case of being good.

I'd go find trouble if there were some to get in. Ask a friend to play if I had one to let in. Nanna's rocker sawing through the every dairy day just like the one before. We lock ourselves behind that door. Is it wrong to wish for something more?

"Give it a kiss and see what happens!" I heard Nanna yell as Winnie was shoved outside with a toad in her hands.

Silence surrounded us. The woods did too. Winnie sighed and stood next to me on the fence.