The Start

My hands sank into the spring, collecting the water. The bowl I made with my hands carried the water, allowing me to drink it easier. The water touched my lips as a shiver washed over me. It was very cold. Once I had drank three handfuls of the water, I stood up and stared at the spring. My life had now been changed.

Footsteps were heard behind me as I quickly turned around, only to see Jesse. He held a vile as he pushed past me in order to collect water for Winnie. I didn't stop him at all.

Jesse quickly stood up and flipped around to face me. He grabbed my arm and walked by me. "Hello there!" A voice called as I turned around to see the Man in the Yellow Suit.

"You!" I scoffed, pointing at him.

The Man in the Yellow Suit laughed. "Me! Where's your little friend? You see, I own these woods now!" The Man in the Yellow Suit explained as I stood next to Jesse.

I took a step forward, making Jesse stand behind me. "What?" We both asked at the same time.

"Yes, so why don't you show me what you've been hiding!" The Man in the Yellow Suit spoke cheerfully, walking towards us.

Jesse stepped next to me. "I have no idea what you're talking about!"

The man laughed again, getting closer to us. "That is simply not true. Once upon a time, once upon a time started just like that. My granny told me a story. How that woman loved to gab!" The Man in the Yellow Suit explained.

Jesse raced to the other side of the man. "What does this have to do with us?"

"Only everything!" The man laughed. "Said there was a man with a wife and sons, as the story goes, the beauty froze. Sound like anyone familiar? Or should I take a stab!" The man yelled at Jesse as he creeped up to him.

Jesse stepped back, keeping his distance. "You don't know a thing about me!" Jesse yelled as he backed away.

"I know you know where the spring is, so why don't you show it to me!"  The Man yelled as I quickly picked up a rock and threw it at him, hitting his back.

Miles ran up to us pointing his rifle at the man. The rest of the family trailed behind. "Miles! It's him! This is the man!" I yelled as I pushed the man away from me.

The man turned around and noticed Miles and put his hands up in defense. "Hold it right there!" Miles warned, aiming his gun at the man.

Mae ran in between Miles and the Man. "Miles! Miles no! This is not who we are. Give me the gun." Mae stated as Miles hesitantly handed the gun over to his mother.

The Man in the Yellow Suit looked around. "Oh my god. It's all of ya! The tale's come to life just like my granny said! I didn't- don't know why I was expecting something a little more impressive." He laughed as Jesse ran to Mae.

"Ma, he knows the secret!" Jesse whispered loudly to Mae. Miles beckoned me over to him, holding his arms out wide. I raced over and hugged him, letting him scan me over for any injuries.

"And I've been guarding it with my life! My lips are sealed, granny didn't raise a snitch. I can make you filthy rich! We'll bottle the water and sell it for a fee. Split the profit equally!" The man shouted as he walked over to Angus, holding his hand out.

Miles left the hug, but still held tightly onto my waist. "We would never!" Miles yelled.

Angus backed away from the man. "You're mad!"

"We just wanna live our lives in peace!" Mae reasoned with the man, but he was growing angry.

The Man in the Yellow Suit was furious, staring at all of us. "What is wrong with you people! You could be sultans, you could have kingdoms! Did you not think of this before? If we could put a price on eternal life, they'd pay anything and more." The man shook Miles, making me back away from the two. "All you have to do is lead me to the water!"