The Witness

Did he regret it all? Miles couldn't tell as he drove down the streets of Treegap. Why did this all have to happen? What led to it happening? His son being taken from him? The Tuck's having to live in hiding for the rest of all time? It was hard to figure it out.

Why did he rush into things? What made him want to get married to Charlotte after a day of knowing each other? Was it because he knew that she didn't have all the time in the world like he did? Was there any way they could have lived a normal life?

Miles slammed his hand against the side of the steering wheel as he let out a yell of stress. Why did all of this need to be happening suddenly? Did the world not want him to visit his family in peace? Why did bad things have to happen to them? Before Miles realized where he was going, he turned the steering wheel and parked onto the side of the empty road. Quickly parking the car and practically jumping out of it, sprinting into the woods. Making his way past the trees, he spotted a familiar figure. "Hey, kid!" Miles yelled as the girl's eyes quickly darted towards the girl.

Kerena quickly grabbed a small pocket knife out of her pocket as an act of self-defense. "I know who you are and I am not afraid to tell the world about you!" The girl threatened as she stood next to the spring. Miles stood still as he glared at the girl. Any wrong move and something could happen. Nothing had changed about the spring. The moss was the same on the trees, and the flowers hadn't had wilted or grown. It was an odd place to be. "The spring, it stands out against everything else! It hasn't changed! Its water goes the wrong way! It's all strange!" That was new.

"Wait. The water goes the wrong way?" Miles asked as he slowly approached the girl. As an act of defense, Kerena quickly kicked him in the knee, causing Miles to fall to the ground. As the girl took a few steps back, Miles regained his composure and looked at the spring. Fair enough, the water had changed. Instead of looking like your usual spring, the water seemed enchanted and was fighting the natural direction it was supposed to go. "No, wait, this isn't right," Miles exclaimed as he quickly crawled over to the spring and picked up the water with his hands.

Miles stopped himself as he allowed his mind to wander. This could go many ways. He could drink the water and have nothing change about him. He could drink the water and suddenly die. He could drink the water and be changed into his younger self. He could drink the water and be cured. Cured, being brought back to normalcy. Was it possible?

The man looked down at the water again and took a deep breath. If it was a chance to be normal, then he would take that chance. Miles made a decision as he brought the water to his lips and drank it. Kerena watched in fear as to see if anything would happen to Miles. Sounds of a dog barking rapidly were heard in the distance as Kerena quickly ran off, thinking that someone could find her.

Jesse ran towards Miles as he kneeled on the ground, Appa barking at the way that Kerena had gone. "Miles! Are you okay? What's going on?" Jesse asked his older brother as he kneeled next to him.

What happened? It was as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Miles looked at his younger brother with an amazed expression on his face. "Drink the water." Miles instructed as Jesse looked at him strangely and silently cupped his hands and drank the water from the spring. Jesse's eyes widened as he looked up at his brother. "I think, hear me out, I think that just reversed our curse," Miles explained as Jesse shook his head and stood up.

"You're crazy. There's no way." Jesse chuckled as he grabbed Appa's leash, allowing the dog to come and rub against his owner's leg. Miles needed a way to prove his theory. It had to be true, something had happened and that seemed like the best option. Quickly turning towards a tree, Miles began punching it violently with his fist. "Miles! What are you doing!" Jesse questioned frantically as he pulled his brother away from the tree. The younger brother quickly took his hand away when he looked down at his palm.

Miles's knuckles were bleeding.