The Waiting

"Miles, I can't believe you just hit someone with your car."

"It was an hour ago, Charlie! Plus you're exhausted, you haven't slept at all today and you woke up at 5 am because you wanted to get breakfast on time."

"I know. It's just that the pancakes were so good."

"You have to get rest. I mean you're 145! You're so old!"

"Says the guy who's 237!"

"Okay, fine. You got me in a corner."

The two pulled up to a nearby park that was close to the forest. Miles parked the car and grabbed the girl in the back seat as Charlie quickly ran to where they were going to meet Mae.

Charlie poked her head around a tree and saw Mae reading a romance novel. She quickly whipped her head around to look at her husband. "Okay, you stay here. When I call for you, come out with her." Miles nodded as Charlie walked around the corner and smiled. "How's your reading?"

Mae turned her head and grinned as she rushed over to Charlie and quickly lifted her up in a big hug. "Oh, I missed you so much!" The two laughed as they hugged. "So how was the drive here?"

"It was great. Actually, we did have a tiny predicament while getting here." Charlie stuttered a bit as Mae raised an eyebrow. "Miles, you can come out now."

Miles awkwardly waved as he had the red-headed girl draped over his shoulder. Mae gasped as she ran over to the girl. Everyone fought for a while until a yell was heard. "Who are you?" The girl screamed as she pounded her fist onto Miles's back.

"I'm Miles Tuck." Miles introduced as he spun around so the girl could see Mae and Charlie. "This is Mae Tuck, my mother. That's Charlie Tuck, my wife."

Charlie took a few steps closer so she was an inch away from the girl. "It'll be okay. Everything is fine. We're going to-ow!" Charlie let out a yelp of pain as she held her bleeding nose.

"What happened?"

"She punched me!"

"Let me go!"

"Should we pull a Winnie?"

"Please."

Mae looked at the girl. "Know now that I don't approve of this as a mother." Mae mentioned as she took off her jacket and held it up to the girl and quickly wrapped it around her head. Muffled screams came from the girl as Mae held her over her back and Miles treated Charlie's bloody nose.