Chapter Forty-Four

'What exactly did she mean by that?' asked Junghyun to himself, undoubtedly confused and distraught. He was upset, anxious as to why his brother asked for him. This might have sounded outlandish - how Junghyun was appalled that his very own sibling had called out to him, though others would find this act quite normal. After all he had done to him, he knew for a fact that he was beyond the aspect of forgiveness and sympathy. He was cruel - cold and selfish even to his own family, whom he had left for in the past. He knew, and, well, believed, that he had no right whatsoever to grasp the chance to be welcomed home - not to his brother, at least.

But, surprisingly, he had been called for - he had been called for by his family - the very family he had abandoned for another in the past. Why, he came back to his kingdom not to be with them, but to come defense for the people he had left his family for. That act was truly selfish and spiteful of him.

"Oppa?" Y/N called, tilting her head. She gazed upon the stressed man, sighing. "What's wrong?"

"Everything," Junghyun answered, a bitter laugh then enclaving the place. "Tell me, Y/N, do I deserve to be called for? After all I've done to my parents and Jeongguk - all the heartbreak I have caused them - tell me, do I deserve to be forgiven?"

"Of course," chimed Y/N ever-so-lovingly, a small, sincere smile then appearing on her face. "You deserve forgiveness. You deserve everything, oppa. Though you may not believe it, you deserve the world. You didn't mean to abandon your family, now, did you? You left them for a reason - to protect us, that is. Why, I don't think the others and I would have survived without you. You seeked for justice, you seeked for the exposure of the truth, you seeked to open the minds of the people who continue to believe in lies. And now, I very much believe that your wish had been granted."

"What?" asked Junghyun, his brows creased. "How could it? I'm stuck here, pushed away by my parents, while that filthy chief of a bastard walks around without restriction. Why, my parents believed him more than they ever believed in me."

"That is why," started Y/N, grasping the man's shoulder softly. "I believed in you. We all did. Your brother, Jeongguk, now does, too. He was the very reason why that 'chief of a bastard' had been caught."

"Lee was?" murmured Junghyun, disbelief and uncertainty present on his face. "Certainly?"

"He certainly was," laughed Y/N, now pulling herself up, then grabbing Junghyun's hands. She huffed, then saying, "Unfortunately, though, he had planned everything out more than we ever did. He's absolutely miles ahead of us."

Junghyun's brows creased, a grunt of disbelief then coming out of his mouth. He then stood up, the man wearing fierce expression. He huffed, pulling his shoulders back as he licked his lips. He gazed upon Y/N, nodding as he murmured, "Let's catch up, then."

-

"Why," started the king, his fist clenched, along with his jaw, too. His eyes were a deep shade of gold, a low growl then resonating throughout the place. "Why would you ever do this, Lee? We trusted you, treated you as if we're family, yet you continue your mischief?"

"Why, of course I would, Jeon. It's common sense," giggled the chief, cackling as he looked back at his own army that comprised of the very citizens of the kingdom. He gazed at the soldiers he had told lies to, the townsmen who he had whispered deceptive dishonesty to - each one of them passionate and steadfast. He looked back, gazing upon the distraught family. "Did you really think, that I would remain as the old compassionate, courteous, gentle prince I used to be in the past, after all of you had murdered my father? After all of you drove him to his death? Did you really think that I wouldn't even think of grasping revenge and reprisal from my enemy after my life, my kingdom, and my future, had been disrupted and pulled into their closure and end? Did all of you really think that I would remain silent as I watch all of my people leave the very place they once called their home? If you actually did, then you're foolish."