Chapter Thirty-Eight

The dark, heavy atmosphere was all that was present, the silent songs of the birds outside echoing throughout the musty place. Small flips were heard, along with the quiescent tapping of a foot, giggles resounding around the murky room.

It was a lovely afternoon — that is, for some individuals actually living a good life. The field outside was quiet, the greenskeepers minding themselves, not once stopping to look around and rest. In fact, they shouldn't, to say the very least. After the misunderstanding — a course and tough melee, may one say — the royal members walked back into their rooms with gloom and pessimism, the disturbed and melancholy looks on their faces making it quite hard for the castle workers to play around, frightened as to what may come if they did so.

Suddenly, small knocks were heard, a slight groan resonating throughout the room next. An old man stood up, moaning in dissatisfaction as he rubbed his temples. He placed the small, black notebook down, rubbing his neck as he gazed at the door.

He walked towards the entrance, pulling it open after he did so. He looked at the posed man in front of him, smiling ever-so-slightly before nodding.

The man walked in, bowing after he did so. He closed the door behind him, glancing at the older man in front of him.

"Good afternoon, master," greeted Chul, smiling. "How are you, dear sir?"

"I feel," paused Chief Lee, raising his head as he puckered his lip. "Quite good, may I say."

"That's great to hear, master," muttered Chul, chuckling softly. "What is it that you wanted to tell me?"

Chief Lee paused, placing his hand on top of his mouth. He looked around, his eyes resting upon the small, black notebook placed in front of him. He smirked, chuckling maniacally.

"You see, Chul," started Chief Lee, giggling ever-so-maniacally as he bit his lower lip proudly. "I learned something — quite extravagantabout the Crowned Prince Jeon Jeongguk."

-

"Argh," groaned Jeongguk, throwing his head back in dissatisfaction. Obviously, he was tempted to throw himself onto his bed, to hide under the covers until everything was solved. But undoubtedly, without him himself, those distasteful events wouldn't stop from continuously happening.

Jeongguk pouted, placing his hand on top of his head as his hair slicked backwards. He sighed, resting both of his arms on top of the gargantuan chair he was sitting on as his eyes darted around his chambers.

"Take me already, will you, beloved Moon Goddess?" murmured Jeongguk, looking up as he huffed desperately. "I wish to rest."

This scene happened almost every single day — the slick prince resting upon every place that he considered comfortable, looking up and wishing to leave the world. But no matter how desperate he sounded, or how loud he spoke, his wishes weren't answered, as they were quite — far-fetched.

"Please," continued Jeongguk, groaning. "Take me to paradise — or at least, somewhere I can be with Y/N."

He truly sounded too lovestruck, yes, but who would blame him? He was just a young man who hoped to love and be loved, after all.

Suddenly, small knocks were heard, Jeongguk's head turning quite immediately towards the origin of the sound.

The large doors were then opened, a guard's head peaking from outside. He bowed, walking inside the room

"Greetings, Your Majesty," muttered the guard, bowing as he smiled. "Their Majesties are calling for you, My Prince."

"To where?" asked Jeongguk, looking up as he tilted his head.

"To their chambers," answered the guard, nodding. "They demand for you presence."

"Alright," muttered Jeongguk, standing up. "Then I shall go."

-

"Sit down," commanded King Ji-hoo, gazing at his son.

Jeongguk nodded, walking towards the empty chair his father was looking at. He bowed as he passed by his parents, but stopped as he saw the very girl he wished to see — Y/N. He hoped to see her, but not like this, of course.

He ignored the fact that she was standing behind the chair he was told to sit on, slowly placing himself down.

"What is it that you wanted to tell me?" asked Jeongguk, coughing slightly.

"This," muttered Queen Jae-hwa, placing a small, black notebook down a tiny table between them. "We wanted to talk to you — both about this. We learned that the girl who wrote the contents of this work is — her, L/N Y/N."

A small gasp was then heard from the girl behind him, Jeongguk immediately recognizing the small notebook shown in front of him. He gawked ever-so-slightly, curious as to how his parents laid hands on it.

"We got it from Chief Lee," added the queen, nodding at the man behind her. "He saw such thing out on the field, where the dispute with your older brother took place."

"Ah," murmured Jeongguk, looking back at Y/N, who had her head down.

"Tell us, Jeongguk," started the king, coughing. "Are the events inside this notebook — true?"

Solemn silence was all that was heard, coughs resonating throughout the place. Jeongguk huffed, clenching his fists, not knowing what to do.

The notebook on the small coffee table held many events — events that held so much memories between the two lovers — and unfortunately, all those were seen by others.

(Author's Note: The black notebook belongs to Y/N and has the things that happened between her and Jeongguk :))

Without much thought, he paused, opening his mouth to speak.

"No, all that was written there — the events — were all an act."