Chapter Forty-One

Then, suddenly, Jeongguk nodded, grabbing Y/N's hands whilst looking around, making sure no one was around them. Finally, he believed her.

-

"Let us," started Jeongguk, grasping Y/N's arms, sighing as he furrowed his brows. Truthfully speaking, he absolutely did not know what to do, let alone what his next move was, nor what to say. What he knew, though, was the fact that he believed in Y/N's statements, despite her having no argument nor evidence to prove her proclamation whatsoever. He did not know exactly how and why he considered her allegations almost instantly, he just somewhat knew. "Let us speak to my parents first, alright? We'll tell them all that you know — all that the chief told you, hm?"

"A-Alright," stuttered Y/N, bobbing her head up and down ever-so-firmly. She sighed, thinking back to her previous act's aftermath and its possible consequences. Did she feel guilty? Guilty of the fact that she did not do the task given upon her? She knew very much that she should not, as the act itself was awful and hideous, but absolutely, she felt doubt and unfamiliarity. What will Eunha experience now? Now that she broke her promise to protect her, and now that that disgusting chief was after her friend? Absolutely, she did not know what to do, nor what she should believe in. Though, surprisingly, the fact that she told Jeongguk felt as if it was the safest option.

She shook her head, agreeing to herself that what she had done was the best thing to do. She thought back, fabricating what could have happened if she continued with the atrocious plan — to poison Jeongguk, that is. The Were's body could have been on the ground, lifeless and unconscious, and she could have been accused of such a horrid act.

Jeongguk pulled the gigantic doors before them, peeking outside as he motioned the guards outside to take their respectful leave. He raised his hand to beckon Y/N to come closer, whispering a silent, "Let's go."

Y/N nodded, smiling ever-so-faintly. She huffed, closing her eyes for a second before glancing at Jeongguk, who only gazed at her with an expression of comfort and uncertainty. He gave her a smile, a smile ever-so-affectionate and loving, enough to give her back the flowery emotions of tenderness she had felt before. Undoubtedly, his smile offered her comfort, feelings of contentment and euphoria ― emotions she had not felt for a very long time. However, it was quite foolish of her to feel and to think like this, was it not? The man in front of her, the very man who gave her the feeling of certainty, was the very individual who pulled all whom she loved to their close end, one of them being her dear father, at that.

Though she was given the opportunity to do the same to him, surprisingly, she pushed the offer away. She did not know exactly why, it was just as if something was telling her that that was the best offer at the moment. She glanced at Jeongguk, who seemed engaged in the current act he was doing ― making sure no one was around, that is. Why exactly was he doing this? He knew for a fact that Y/N was offered to take his beloved life from him, and she agreed to such a horrendous act, does he not? Why ― why must he continue to show his compassion, and not push her away? Y/N was confused, of course, baffled, even. She desperately wanted know the exact reason why, but she knew very much that that was not the most important act at the moment. Right now, they must get to Jeongguk's parents, the king and the queen, and disclose the decisive knowledge they grasped and held.

"You alright?" murmured Jeongguk ever-so-lovingly, a solemn and true concerned expression worn, his moves filled with both apprehension and doubt. He did not cause Y/N to feel any discomfort, did he? If he did, he was willing to walk far, far away from her, to move however she told him to. He had caused her millions of emotions of anguish, grief, and pain, after all. "If you feel uncomfortable, you may tell me, alright?"

"Mhm," hummed Y/N, nodding. "Now, let's really go, Your Highness."

Jeongguk smiled, beaming in agreement and in response. He held the young woman's hand, looking up, asking for consent. Without further much delay, she nodded, laughing as she did so. Then, they both walked out of the room, looking around. Absolutely, Y/N did not know where Jeongguk was pulling her to, she was somewhat new to the place, after all.

As the both of them believed that everything was going through as they planned, they stumbled upon the duo they desperately wished to not see ― the chief and his trusted companion, Chul. Though he may seem less intimidating and mischievous as his "master", both Jeongguk and Y/N knew he had trouble up his sleeves.

"Why, how nice to see you, Your Majesty, truly surprising," muttered the old man, laughing bitterly. He glanced at Y/N, gazing at her hand, which was held tightly by Jeongguk's. "Truly... surprising."

Not too long, Jeongguk had noticed the ill tension shared between the chief and Y/N, taking into account that the both of them should take their leave as soon as possible. He pulled Y/N closer to him, behind him, actually. This act, of course, did not go through unnoticed by the chief, who looked at them with an expression of surprise, and both Jeongguk and Y/N knew what he had thought by then.

"I apologize, Lee," started Jeongguk, coughing as he excuse both he and Y/N. "But we have to leave now, I'm afraid. See you around."

"Hm," hummed the chief, chuckling. "See you, Your Highness, Y/N."

As both Jeongguk and Y/N left, Chul coughed, glancing at Chief Lee, who looked amused and entertained. The chief then giggled, throwing his head back as he clutched his stomach in "enthusiasm".

"Did you see that, Chul?" asked the chief, still laughing. "The way they looked very much attentive and vigilant, to the point that I knew for a fact that they instantly wished for our presence to leave. Oh, how very much fun this is."

"What do we do now, master?" queried Chul, tilting his head. "We both are very much conscious that they identify who you are, and what you have done, and are headed to give the knowledge to Their Majesties."

The chief then chuckled, raising his arm and resting his hand on top of Chul's shoulder. Placing his finger on top of his lips, he smirked.

"We proceed as planned, Chul, of course," answered the chief, huffing as he sighed. "Oh, how foolish of me to think that that brat will actually follow through our plan."

"It seems that it's true," murmured Chul, sighing, shaking his head as he laughed a bit. "The fact that those despicable, filthy humans follow through the highest bidder, that is."

"Now, now," started the chief, giggling as he patted Chul's back. "Let us not get ahead of ourselves, shall we? I believe — that it was the power of love."

Small snorts were then heard, giggles coming out of the mouth of the almost stoned companion of the old man. Really, if he did not speak nor walk, Chul could have been a great statue — an immoral one, though.

"You're truly making me laugh, master," commented Chul, grinning as the two men wallowed around. "Should we leave now, sir?"

"Yes," answered the chief, nodding vigorously. "Really, why does it feel very much unfortunate? Seems as if I might miss this place — quite unexpected and disgusting of me, really."

"Make sure to clear my office out, alright?" continued he, turning back to look at the younger man behind him. "Make sure we leave no traces."

Chul nodded, coughing as he bowed. He murmured a small, "Got it", looking around after.

"Be careful, master," chimed he, a soft smile appearing on his face.

"Mhm, you too," hummed the chief, nodding. "I'll meet you in the back gate, alright?"

As Chul took his leave, Chief Lee watched the very place both Jeongguk and Y/N had gone off too, smirking as he sighed. He shook his head, laughing.

"Really," murmured he, huffing. "I thought you were smarter than this, Y/N. I truly hoped so. But it seems as if you had seen through my plan — how very much astute of you."

He stopped, looking around the palace, clenching his fists as he took a deep breath. As he walked away, he muttered, "From today on, everyone of you — everyone, I say — will see who I truly am, what my motives truly are, and what I have come for. You all will be surprised, frightened, even, I tell you. Nevertheless, I promise, father, that this will be the end of this kingdom."