Chapter Forty-Three

"Your Majesties," called the warden, peeking through the slightly opened door, coughing a bit before pushing the entrance slightly agape. He looked inside the chamber, glancing at the inside of the room. He then noticed the king, who sat quite peacefully, flipping through a book, while the queen, on the other hand, held a small piece of paper, drawing on it.

"Yes?" murmured the queen, her mouth forming a small, sincere smile. She looked up rather quickly, tilting her head as she calmly raised her brows. "What is it?"

"His Majesty, Prince Jeongguk, has come to converse with the both of you," answered the man, gazing at the two royalties sitting in front of him. He looked back - glancing at the prince behind him, perhaps - nodding a bit before standing straight once again.

"Alright, then," muttered the queen, a small grin appearing on her face. "Let him in."

The warden then stepped back, pulling the door wider open as he bowed down, showing his gratitude as the other royal member walked past him. Though, he only expected the prince - and him alone - to come in, surprisingly, he saw another pair of feet - a woman's, perhaps.

"You wanted to see us, Jeongguk?" asked King Ji-hoo in a hushed voice, looking up as he placed the book he was reading down the table in front of him.

They were truly happy, of course, for their son had come to see them. Really, the three of them - the king, queen, and the prince, Jeongguk - had distanced themselves from one another after one particular event - Junghyun's exposure of the truth - had taken place, and from then on, the atmosphere the three shared whenever they were together was quite - suffocating. Despite the fact that both the king and queen were absolutely joyous to see Jeongguk, what they did not see rather expeditiously, though, was the fact that there was someone else behind their son, and it was the fact that she was one of their enemies that truly shocked them.

"And," started the queen, placing her artwork down as she gazed at the young woman hunching back behind her son, obviously avoiding seemingly discernable glances. "I suppose you brought her in for what, exactly?"

"I have something to tell you," muttered Jeongguk, looking back at Y/N, nodding as he brought her closer to him. He then paused for a bit, huffing as he pulled her in front of him, murmuring a small, "Actually, she does."

Both the royalties then stopped doing whatever they were doing a moment ago, straightening their postures as they swayed their bodies closer to the young woman, Y/N, absolutely ready to listen.

"What is it," asked King Ji-hoo, raising both of his brows. He paused, opening his mouth before closing it once again. "Y/N, is it?"

"U-Um," murmured Y/N, grunting a bit before pulling herself together. She brushed her hair quite quickly, her chin high up. "This - is about the chief, Your Majesties."

"What about the chief?" questioned Queen Jae-hwa, her mouth twitching in curiosity and interest. She was obviously engrossed - drawn and enticed to whatever will come out of the young woman's mouth. What was with the chief, that her very own son, Junghyun, and this girl had taken interest in?

"He," started Y/N, her eyes fixed on the floor beneath her.  Truly, she absolutely did not grasp any proper words to speak out, nor did she know how to explain herself. Will the king and queen really listen to her? She was just a mere human, after all. On top of that fact, too, she was one of their opponents - someone they absolutely loathe and shun.

'Collect yourself together, L/N Y/N!' thought Y/N, slapping herself - well, of course, imaginatively. 'You have to do this - for the disclosure of the truth, and for the people you love!'

"What is it?" asked the queen, drumming her fingers on the arm of the chair she was sitting on, her patience running out quite fast. She sighed, looking at their son, whose gaze was fixed on the girl herself. "Look, compose yourself first, alright? Then you can talk to us -"

"I... have known your son, Junghyun, for a very long time," started Y/N, breathing in quite deeply. She raised her head, gazing at the king and queen with such an adamant expression, giving off senses of morale and poise. "I have first met him when I was very young, you see - at the age of five, I suppose? I believed and knew - that he held such bountiful traits of a true leader - courage, grit, spirit - and he showed all these as we grew up together. He had taught me such valuable lessons - and, of course, I held onto him like my very own family and teacher.

"When the truth about him came out, I felt bounteous emotions, betrayal being one of them. But, despite that fact, until now, I continuously believe that I still held the capability to rely on him, ignoring the fact that we aren't supposed to trust each other. All my life, I have been surrounded with cruelty and lies - and I learned how to deal with all these. I know for a fact that I shouldn't be helping you, nor anyone from your kind. In all honesty, I mustn't, must I? But, surprisingly, here I am, absolutely apt to offer my hand and give all that I know."

Y/N looked back and up, glancing at Jeongguk. Though it was only for a split second, she absolutely knew for a fact - that Jeongguk gazed at her with much honor and satisfaction - obviously dignified to hear her say all that.

"Your Majesties," called Y/N, now facing the two royalties in front of her, hunching her shoulders back as she smiled a bit. "The chief the both of you trust very much isn't exactly what you think of him. He may have had offered half of his life into this kingdom - but his purpose is not exactly as favourable and positive as what you believe - for you and your people, that is. He longs for revenge, Your Highnesses, reprisal for what had happened to him and his father, vengeance for his kingdom. He isn't a stalwart, nor a person who you could put your trust in. From us - our kinds, that is - he's the true enemy here - the very reason why all of this had happened. He isn't as innocent as you think, he'll do anything, I tell you. Might it be to poison someone of his kind, or whatnot."

"Poison?" asked the king, furrowing his brows. He had a scowl on his face, his mouth twitching.

"He gave me an offer, Your Majesty. Poison His Prince, or put my friend's life at stake," answered Y/N, playing with her fingers as she did so, looking down nervously.

"What?" murmured the queen in disbelief, laughing a bit. "And how do we know that all this is true, hm?"

"Well-"

Before Y/N could explain herself, three loud knocks were then heard, the sound of the door being pushed open quite roughly resonating throughout the wide room.

"Your Majesties," yelled the warden, flailing his arms around as he ran inside the chamber. "I apologise for my sudden intrusion, Your Highnesses."

"What is it?" asked the king, sighing. He frowned, scratching the back of his nape.

"I'm truly sorry, Your Majesties. I absolutely do not know how this happened but," murmured the man, looking away. "I believe Chief Lee has cleared his office out, sir. He's just - gone."