Chapter Eighteen

It was late at night, the clouds above almost covering the bright moon and preventing it from emitting its gleam, when the young lad thought of going out to take a silent stroll around the now quiet village, not thinking of how dark it was. This was what he had hoped to have- peace and quiet- but because of what had been happening these past few weeks, he was not able to achieve that. Both of his hands rested behind him, his eyes blinking rapidly when dust had come close to them. He was walking alone, but he somehow sensed a presence around him. He took in the familiar scent, sighing when he realized who it was.

"You can come out now, brother," grumbled Jeongguk, turning around. It was silly how his older brother thought he would not be caught, given Jeongguk's strong instincts and sense of smell. Even from afar, Jeongguk would know if someone was approaching.

Small footsteps appeared, along with the suspicious face of Junghyun, who was spying on his younger brother not too long ago. He walked closer, looking dangerously at Jeongguk, huffing when the younger man gave him a glare.

"What do you want, hyung?" asked Jeongguk impatiently, tapping his foot as he crossed his arms.

"I would like to talk to you," muttered Junghyun, pulling his younger brother into a secluded area.

Jeongguk sighed and rolled his eyes- the last time they did, it did not go too well. He wondered why his brother would want to talk to him- perhaps, to force him to speak out what they were planning to do with the humans? To force him to stop whatever they were going to do? Though Jeongguk had doubts in the plan himself, he knew he cannot disobey his parents.

"What exactly are you planning to do with the humans?" questioned the older man, tugging at Jeongguk's sleeve.

"It's none of your business. Although it could have been, if you had stayed with us," murmured Jeongguk, standing uncomfortably.

"Staying in the kingdom and with you would not change the fact that the humans did not kill our grandfather! They were surely wrongly accused! They did not do anything!" exclaimed Junghyun, huffing. "You know how sad father was at that time- and he needed someone to blame! It isn't pure luck he had chosen the humans to be the basket of the wrath he throws!"

"What are you trying to say, hyung?" asked Jeongguk, not getting what his older brother was trying point out.

"I'm saying that someone had filled father's mind with lies! That someone had provoked the humans to destroy their image to our kind! That someone had planned all this! Do you not get it, Jeongguk? You're the crowned prince now, aren't you? Shouldn't you be sorting things out?" questioned the older man, scrunching his brows.

"And weren't you the crowned prince long ago? Not after you left all your d*mn responsibilities and own family for nothing but a silly conclusion you had made up to make yourself feel better after grandfather's death!" exclaimed Jeongguk, clenching his fists and preventing himself from punching the person in front of him. "Stop making up lies to console yourself! Just accept the fact that the humans were the cause of grandfather's death!"

Junghyun had promised himself to control his anger- to prevent himself from hurting his younger brother no matter what happens, even though he knew Jeongguk was much stronger than he was. He knew Jeongguk was a stubborn child- it would take much time to persuade him. But he also knew that with enough reasons and ideas that were supported, he would be able to change what his younger brother believed in. He inhaled, closing his eyes to calm himself down. He could not cause a scene right then, as they were in the humans' territory.

"Common sense, Jeongguk. I need you to have that," murmured Junghyun, looking directly at his confused brother. "We all know for a fact that us werewolves have greater capabilities of winning over the humans, as we are much, much stronger than they are. Even a weakling can overthrow five humans without using all his strength. Now tell me, Jeongguk, we found grandfather's cold body the next morning he was killed, and he had at least four guards securing his chambers at all times. How did the supposed murderers-the humans - pass all those guards without causing any commotion? Surely, the securities could have screamed for help when they were attacked. But they never did. And surprisingly, we never had the chance to talk to the guards the next day, as they had become lost.

"What I'm saying is that it was someone from our kind who had done it. But surprisingly, they had put all the blame on the humans for unknown reasons," recited Junghyun, looking around to make sure no one had been listening to them.

"You do have a point, hyung. But we should not doubt father-"

"And why should we not? Our father's not always right, Jeongguk. He makes mistakes. His mind at that time was blank, and he would surely accept and believe any information that would fill it up. What did you expect father to do? Analyze everything after a person that played an important role  in his life had died? He had no time for that, Jeongguk. He was surrounded by grief and remorse, and that was all he felt during grandfather's death."

Jeongguk frowned- he had never been played like this before. He was confused- both because of why his older brother had been protecting the humans from their father's wrath, and how Junghyun's reasons on how the humans did not take part on their grandfather's death did have points. Jeongguk too had been confused the day they found their grandfather's cold body, and had been curious who the murderer was. And after taking part on this task of his, he had always believed the humans were guilty of the atrocious murder.

"Jeongguk, do you want these innocent people to suffer because of something they did not do?" murmured Junghyun, placing his hand on the younger man's shoulder. Jeongguk, on the other hand, did not like this action, thus swatting his older brother's hand away. "Do you love Y/N, Jeongguk?"

"Shut up," growled Jeongguk, pulling Junghyun towards him. "Do not involve Y/N here, you bastard."

It was true Jeongguk did love Y/N, but he knew that this should not interfere with his duties as the rightful prince. His purpose was not to play with Y/N's heart and feelings, but nevertheless, after he would accomplish his task, all this would turn out to seem like it. Jeongguk knew that after all this is done, the humans who he once knew family would think of him as a traitor and a bastard.

"But you are fully aware that you yourself are involving the girl here, Jeongguk. How do you think will our parents react after they know that their son had a relationship with a human, our supposed enemy, during the accomplishment of his task?" questioned Junghyun, tilting his head. "You are involving every innocent person here for something so stupid and foolish."

"I don't care if our parents find out about her. I'll protect her myself," muttered Jeongguk confidently, crossing his arms as he did so. "I'll protect Y/N no matter what, and we'll always be together even through the hardest obstacles in life."

"Yes, you'll always stay with Y/N. But do you think, that after all this is done and after your true identity would be revealed, she'll want to stay with you?" asked Junghyn expectantly, narrowing his face as he studied his younger brother's uncomfortable moves.

Jeongguk frowned- no matter how he thought positively, he himself still knew what his brother said was true. After all this is done, and after he accomplishes his mission, Y/N would leave him. Why, Y/N would hate him. But he would not allow that, as he will do everything it takes for both of them to be together happily. But he also knew, that no matter what he does, his fate would not change.