Chapter Nine

"I'm so tired!" Jeongguk muttered as he lied down on his bed made of wood. His new mattress was the complete opposite of the one he has at the palace- it was big, made of gold, and has all the fancy stuff. 'I always don't get the right amount of sleep because of this!' He thought. Though he had no right to complain, he still can't help but nag about the smallest things he finds different.

The sun was rising, the morning mist surrounding the quiet atmosphere doing nothing to wake him up. In fact, it made him feel more tired.

Jeongguk sighed, it was hard being a prince, but it was harder being a scion to a pack full of cunning and ambitious wolves. It wasn't easy.

Nevertheless, he still had to go on. Which means he had to get up from his bed.

He groaned, sitting up and pulling his hand to rub his back, which was hurt because of the hard surface of his new bed. He stood up and walked to the window. And as he opened it, he immediately recognized a familiar, faint smell. It was comforting, yet thinking of the person who owns it made him feel distressed.

It was the scent of someone he was close with, very much close with.

-

"I'm so excited! We're finally going to see Junghyun oppa again!" Eunha exclaimed, clasping her hands together as she jumped.

"Right? I've never seen him for like, ages!" Y/N said as she joined Eunha in jumping.

"Calm down, girls. He only left for three weeks.." Jin-ho, the brother of Eunha, said as he placed a bowl full of harvested potatoes down the sturdy table. He's a good friend of Y/N, though she kinds of dislike his stolid attitude.

"I miss him so much!" Hei-ran, a friendly old woman, muttered. "He's like a son to me!"

"Now, now, let's focus on our surprise for him. Oh! Jeongguk! Good morning!" Y/N's father said as he approached Jeongguk.

"Ah, samchon! Good morning!" Jeongguk exclaimed as he bowed. "Sorry if I'm a bit late.."

"It's fine!" Y/N's father said as he beckoned Jeongguk to come closer.

"Um.. What are you guys doing?" Jeongguk asked as he smiled at everyone and waved at them.

"We're doing a surprise for Junghyun oppa!" Eunha said as she placed a pitcher of water down the table.

"J-Junghyun..?" Jeongguk murmured as he looked around. 'It really is him!"

The atmosphere around him made him uncomfortable- he was about to see the person who betrayed and lied to his own pack!

'So, this is where he stayed, huh?' Jeongguk thought as his hands slowly turned into fists. Now, the scent seemed more prominent, its miasmatic smell making him want to throw up. The people around him started counting, since they were aware Junghyun was close.

"3,"

It was much closer now.

"2,"

Jeongguk's eyes focused behind the large monolith, attentive to meet his fellow wolf.

"1!"

After that, a man really did appear behind the monolith, smiling as he ran towards the crowd of people. He was tall, he ran fast, and he possesses a lot of Jeongguk's features. As Junghyun stopped running, his eyes focused on Jeongguk and glared at him. Both of the men growled at each other silently as they recalled all their memories together.

'Hello, brother.' Jeongguk thought as he looked away, thinking of how his pack's plan failed miserably.