Chapter Seventeen

"Jeongguk," Prince Ji-hoo called out, patting the young boy's back as he stood close to his father. "Kindly bring Y/N to your room and play with her."

Jeongguk excitedly nodded, jumping around as he grabbed the girl's hand. "Let's go!" he exclaimed, laughing. The two kids ran, giggling as one stumbles and trips.

"We're here!" muttered the boy, nodding and uttering a 'thank you' as the two guards stationed in front of his chambers opened the massive doors for the two. "I have new toys, Y/N! I recently got it from a toy shop in the village the day we visited your bakery!"

"R-Really? That's great!" Y/N said, clasping her hands together as she patted Jeongguk's head. "Let's go play with those new toys of yours!"

Jeongguk nodded and pulled out a box hidden under his bed.The both of them played with Jeongguk's toys, cackling with laughter and happiness. The two children felt better with each other's presence, and would always force their fathers to visit one another. Y/N's parents owned a bakery passed down to them by her grandfather and would constantly visit the castle to provide them with sweets, such as their so-called special macaroons. These treats were loved and favoured by everyone in the kingdom's royal family, causing the two families to grow fond of each other no matter their differences. Ever since Y/N was at the age of four, she would always be with her father to help him give the treats prepared by her family. Jeongguk, being at least two years older than the girl, would always be called by his father, King Ji-hoo, to bring Y/N to his room and entertain her while their fathers talk and chit chat, causing a special relationship to grow between the two children. Their friendship was beautiful, just like their fathers'.

"By the way, I love your macaroons. Did you make them?" asked the boy, making a 'woosh' sound as he pushed his toy train.

"My dad and mom did, but I helped," answered Y/N, smiling. "I'll teach you someday!"

The two were the best of friends, staying by each other's side and sharing their happiness with each other. Whenever one was sad- like how Y/N was when one of the birds she was taking care of died, they would always cheer up one another and would cry if they fail to do so. Their relationship was truly beautiful, and seemed so perfect that nothing will ever break it. But what happened then, surprisingly became the later end of their friendship.

-

Jeongguk's eyes fluttered open, several clanging sounds coming from the outside causing him to do so. Last night, he had gone out with Y/N to a seemingly quiet mountain to admire the stars set above them while the others enjoy their slumbers, the two completely forgetting all the stress and pressure they have been going through these past few weeks. The both of them talked a lot about themselves, and it made Jeongguk happier than he should ever be now that he learned the fact that Y/N considers him trustworthy. He smiled, thinking of whatever happened the other night.

The sun was already high, its light torturing the young man's eyes when he suddenly moved his head and turned them to its direction. He groaned, blinking multiple times before clutching his face. He was surprisingly tired- which rarely occurs- and wanted to stay on bed and rest the whole day. But he could not do that, as he had to work. Jeongguk and Y/N stayed on the mountain and continued to star gaze up until three in the morning, and the poor lad had only collected four hours of his needed sleep.