𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟕.

Y/N's POV

"That's right. Marco."

Reiner, Annie, and I widened our eyes.

"Annie was involved in his death, correct? Why don't you go ask her about the truth now since she's here?" Yelena told Jean. Jean stayed quiet for a moment before looking at Annie, asking her for an answer.

"I took off Marco's vertical maneuvering equipment. That's why he got eaten," Annie said, telling the truth.

"I'm at fault. She was just following my commands," Reiner stepped in, taking the blame. I looked at him. "Marco accidentally overheard a conversation Bertholdt and I were having. He wasn't supposed to know so we thought the best way to keep him quiet was to have him get eaten by a Titan. So I slammed Marco into a roof midair and held him down as Annie took off his equipment so he couldn't escape. Marco was stuck there... until a Titan came from behind and ate him."

Jean remained silent, looking so distressed. Everybody else remained quiet and looked sad, drowning in sorrow, including myself.

"And you y/n?" Jean asked me. "What did you do? You're part of their group right?"

"I..." I started, and hugged my knees to my chest. "I just watched... and did nothing more... just like every other Tybur."

"... Then... Did he say anything before he died?" Jean spoke. "Any last words?"

"He said... 'We haven't even tried to negotiate this out,'" Reiner answered.

"He's right... He's right! We've been constantly fighting for years, engaging in wars and shedding blood nonstop... without even thinking about negotiating!" Jean said. "Maybe if we had tried to talk things out from the start..."

"Now's not too late," Hange said. "Look at us now. Right here in this exact moment. Are we fighting? No. We're talking. Who would've imagined this group of diverse people with different beliefs... sitting down together eating around a fire."

After everyone thought about Hange's words, Reiner spoke up again. "I watched Marco get eaten... and wondered why he was getting eaten. So I flew into a rage and killed that Titan... cursing it for killing Marco."

"That's enough. The guilt messed with your brain, didn't it?" Jean said.

However, Reiner continued. "Don't forgive me. I'm worthless."

"I already said that's enough," Jean repeated.

"I'm... so sorry."

Jean got up from his seat on the ground and punched Reiner, knocking him to the ground. From there, he continued beating him up until Connie and Armin had to hold him back.

Jean was about to kick Reiner until Gabi used her body to shield him, and he kicked her instead.

"Gabi!! You OK?!!" Falco worriedly asked.

"I'm so sorry," Gabi said. "We wanted all of you devils on Paradis Island to die... because we wanted the world to forgive us. We just wanted a world without all of you. But now... look at what it's become. All of our families are going to die. I'm so sorry." Gabi got on her knees and bowed. "I know this is very shameless of me... but we need your help... Please lend us your strength!"