Tears

Chapter Thirty

Tears

Peyton's P.O.V

        I snuck out of the cabin with bated breath. My heart was beating at a rapid pace as I ran towards the forest. Nobody was in sight. They must have all been on the other side of the camp. I prayed that the pain wouldn't start up again. That I wouldn't have anymore accidents. I came to the entrance of Deregu forests, breathing in the fresh smell of the trees and leaves.

   I didn't have time to gaze. Anxiously, I picked up the pace and I began to run.  Above me, I felt the the sky change. I shivered running, as the blue sky turned to grey. The wind wrapped around my arms, causing goosebumps to rise. My converse-clad feet pounded into the dirt. It was amazing how I remembered the way to Wolvenpraire. In fact, startling.

Or did I?

    My brows furrowed as dark doubts slithered down my spine. I came to an abrupt halt in the middle of the woods. Somewhere at the back of my mind was a vicious chant : 'Stop! Turn around! This was a bad idea!' Somehow I managed to ignore it, but now....I gasped and turned, hearing a rustling behind me. I looked around suspiciously at the shrubs nestled inbetween the trees. I glanced skyward to the canopy above me.

Nothing. No one.

   "Gosh, stop being so paranoid." I muttered to myself in self-assurance, and decided to walk. My boots crunched loudly on the dead leaves as I wrapped my arms around my body. It had suddenly become rather cold. Or was that just me? I tried to reason with myself. The vampires were gone. For now, at least. I had nothing to be afraid of. I continued to walk, ignoring the eerie feeling that somewhere behind me, I was being watched.

   It was because I was alone, right? There was no...Raphael here to protect me. Which in a way, was good. He'd gotten hurt way too many times because of me. With Zauraus...and then when I was....I shuddered. Kidnapped. God knows that I hated that word. Laughing to myself like a crazy person, I wondered what my parents would say if I told them. Speaking of, why couldn't I tell them? They knew werewolves existed...they knew what I was...and they kept it from me all this time. Was this why they allowed me to go on this trip? So they wouldn't have to explain on my seventeenth birthday why I was turning into a wolf?

And the award for parents of the year goes to....

   I cursed under my breath as hot teats sprang from beneath my eyelids. What the total hell. They never even planned on telling me. Did they? I clenched my hands into fists and with a burst of rage, began to run. My breath was swept away as I began to run at a dangerous pace, at a speed that surprised even myself. Trees flashed blindly past my eyes and I hardly felt the surge under my feet. My hair was flapping wildly as I ran, purely on my memory....and I found, that it was amazing.  This...this running. I smiled despite myself. It was amazing. Seeing a clearance up ahead, I increased my pace.

Only to crash into something so hard it felt like stone. Rippling pain spread thrpugh my body as I let out a startled cry. I couldn't see, but just as I was about to fall, I felt hands wrap around my waist, holding me half upright. I gasped, looking upwards, but not at my capturer, as my worst fears came to life. It was vampires. It was them. They'd come to get me again. I wasn't about to let that happen. I began to struggle, my heart beating fast. Its grip was strong.

   "Let me go, I swear to God I'm gonna burn you alive!" I screeched, as his cold hands came down with a tight clamp around my neck, constricting my breathing. I froze, unable to move as I looked into the eyes of my captor. I felt my stomach drop as my eyes widened in electric shock. A shudder went through me as I looked into the eyes of...Raphael. Black, soulless orbs.