The Transformation

Chapter Twenty-One

The Transformation

As I ran, I played the scene over and over in my mind again. Me. Wrapping my hands around her neck. Choking her. . .enjoying it. Oh my God. What would everyone think? I didn't notice that tears were streaming down my face until I brought them up instinctively to wipe them away. I reached my cabin door and hurriedly pulled it open.

Hurrying inside, I wasn't surprised to see it empty. After shutting the door, I leaped onto my bed, sobbing in remorse. I honestly didn't know what was wrong with me. I felt like my emotions were all over the place. How could I have been so horrible as to...choke Angela? As much as I hated her...I knew me. That wasn't something I would do. In fact...it was something she would do.

I narrowed my eyes and pursed my lips in contemplation. She did truly look sorry when I approached her...but I was so angry I couldn't control myself. It was like something had taken ahold of me. I closed my eyes for a second, trying to calm my nerves. Everything. Will. Be. Alright.

Opening my eyes, I pulled open a tiny cabinet next to my bed and took out my old blackberry. I hadn't used it much, because one; there was no WIFI at camp and two, the cell signal was practically non-existent. We would have to travel all the way to town to get service.

Clicking on the calendar app, I gasped in shock to see we only had five more days of camp left. I gasped, before falling back with a thud onto my bed. Only five days left...and I found out nothing about my parents. Okay....so maybe that wasn't entirely true. I found out more about my biological parents...I found out they were...werewolves.

I sputtered a laugh. I was one too. Great.

I shot up suddenly, hearing a knock on the cabin door. My heartbeat suddenly sped up fast. What if it was Angela? What could I say to her? What if it was Raphael, or Matt, or Emily-

Knock, knock. A whisper :

"Peyton. It's me. Open the door please?" Came a familiar voice. I frowned. It was Faye. Hesitantly, I got up to approach the oak door, and with shaky hands, I opened it slightly.

Faye's brown doe eyes, were the first thing to greet me, and I was so relieved not to see disgust or apprehension in them. She just looked worried and concerned. About me. She smiled at me reassuringly, and so I stepped back, and allowed her to enter.

Her curly hair was pulled into a messy bun, and she was wearing camouflage shorts that exposed her slender, dark legs, and a black t-shirt. She entered and took a seat on the end of my bed. I hesitantly joined her. Looking down at my toenails, I waited for her to speak.

"It wasn't your fault, you know." She started, smiling compassionately at me. I refused to meet her gaze, as a large sob was forming in my throat. She gently touched my shoulder.

"All unblossomeds experience it sometime: The Heat." She said dramatically, which caused me to glance at her in shock.

"The what?" I sputtered. Faye smiled.

"A phase most unblossomeds go through, caused by a chemical imbalance in their bodies. It's the werewolf gene. You'll experience things like depression, anxiety, lust, violence..." She trailed off softly, as though that might be an explanation for what I just did. I froze before wringing my hands together. Furrowing my brows, I turned to her.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" I exclaimed, voice breaking.

"I thought I was going crazy." I breathed. My mind flashed back to what happened in the shower. How could I have blacked out for over two hours?! All those times I felt like crying. That explained it. A strange look crossed her features before she replied.