e i g h t e e n

Chapter 18: His Day Part 2

"How can I help you?" The middle-aged woman behind the counter asked.

I pull my attention from the wall of samples and gave her a smile. "Hi, I was wondering how long it would take to get this," I pull up something on my phone "Onto one of those?" I point to a square on the wall.

She pushed up her glasses as she squinted at my phone. "Since we aren't busy, I'd say just about an hour."

My face lit up at the news. "That's perfect, actually."

She waltzed over to the computer and began typing away. I answer questions she asks me about my information.

"Alright, everything is set, I just need a flash drive or something to transfer it onto the computer."

My smile fell, I didn't have a flash drive on me. "I'm so sorry about this, can I run back home to get a flash drive? It won't take me long."

She sighs and takes off her glasses to wipe the lenses on her shirt. "You could do that, or you could just complete the order on your phone through our website."

I can do that? Hm.

I nod and did just what she told me. I don't do stuff like this often, so I needed her help.

She looks at her computer and nods. "Everything is all set; you'll receive a text when your order is complete and you can come pick it up then."

I initially came in to order one thing but changed my mind when I was finishing up on my phone.

I need to go to the craft store to look for frames of some sort. I had an hour to spare, so that would give me plenty of time.

*****

Okay I said an hour would be plenty of time, but my times almost up and I've been staring at the options since I arrived.

It isn't that complicated. You two aren't dating or anything, so why go through so much effort?

Because..

Because?

Because shut up.

Oh wow, real matur-

Now back to what I was doing. I start by looking at frames, but once again changed my mind.

Now I'm looking at books. They seem a little too mom like to give to Jay.

Maybe he'd get a kick out of it.

There has to be more options. I continue down the isle, but my phone rang, interrupting my search.

"Bree." Lizzy's whiney voice came through. "You left me all alone. Where are you?"

"You fell asleep on me, so I took the opportunity to run some errands. I'll be back in a bit, I'm finishing up now."

"Hmm. Oh, what's smells so good."

"Lizzy, do not touch the cake. It's for later."

"...You just love making my life miserable."

I sigh. "Yes, Lizzy I can't go a day without plotting your demise."

"You know, you're very sarcastic-"

"Lizzy, I got to go now, I'll be back soon! Read a book or something." I hang up and tuck my phone into my back pocket.

I leave the book isle and was about to give up when I finally spot what I've been looking for.