f o u r

Chapter 4 : Better Than Enemies

Patiently sitting at the countertop, on an unleveled stool, I wait for Jayden to get home.

I've thought about what he told me yesterday. I have been rude to him for no reason, so I need to sort this all out.

I scroll through Instagram while I wait. "I should really call my old friends and meet up.."

The door opens and Jayden walks through, head down in his phone. He looks up at me and acknowledges me by nodding, but no words.

I clear my throat and sit up straight. "Jayden," I slide the chair over to where he is standing. "Take a seat."

His eyes ask a million questions, but he sits down anyway and scoots closer to the counter. "What's this about?"

I once again clear my throat. Grab water next time. "I have noticed there is unreasoned hostility between us."

He takes a deep sigh and rolls his eyes. I just stare back at him with a blank face, unamused. He rolls his hand, "Go on."

"Well, if we are going to be living close to each other, I think we need to become friends..or..nicer, if friends is a stretch."

He doesn't say anything for a couple seconds before a deep chuckle erupts from the back of his throat.

He wipes a fake tear from his eye. "And how do you expect to do that, brownie?"

"Well- brownie? The he*l?"

"It's a new nickname. Get it? Your hair is brown..obviously."

"How do I put this gently...don't ever say that again you idio- person..."

"We'll work on it." He winks at me. "But how are we just going to just become nice to each other? Start over or something?"

I take a deep breath. "Hi, I'm Aubrey Parker. I'm 19, I like taking hikes, and I'm allergic to peanuts." I stick out my hand.

He looks at me as if I grew another head. I hold my breath and I nod my head to my hand, signaling him to shake it. He shakes my hand slowly, "I'm Jayden Romano. I'm 20, and I'm not allergic to anything."

I laugh at his response and he raises an eyebrow, not understanding why I find it funny. "Now that introductions are out of the way, tell me about yourself."

"I'm really not an interesting person. I mean I can play the violin but-"

"You can play the violin!" My eyes brighten and a smile makes its way upon his face, but it's gone as quickly as it appeared. I frown slightly at his sudden change.

"Is there something on my face? Of course there is, it's my beauty." He says boastfully.

I'm silent for a few seconds before saying "You should smile more, it compliments your face."

He waves me off with his hand, "No, no, I don't smile." He can tell I'm unconvinced by my facial expression.

"But, yeah. I haven't played the violin in years but it's actually in my room right now." He points to his door with his thumb.

"Can you play me a song?"

He shrugs, "Maybe another time."

My face falls. "What? Please, I'll give you.." I stick my hand in my pocket and grab a bill "5 dollars. Oh rats, I was going to use that later."

"You make a convincing point." He grabs the bill, goes into his room and comes out a minute later with a black case.

He pulls out the instrument and plucks the strings, only for them to be out of tune. I laugh and he presses his mouth into a straight line and hardens his face.