t e n

Chapter 10 : Parties Never End Well

I take a sip from my coffee and ask, "What are you doing tonight?"

Lizzy sets her phone down and puts a finger on her chin. "Um, nothing I can think of- wait." She slaps her forehead. "I have to finish a project for one of my classes, it's due at midnight."

I nod and set my cup down. "That sucks."

"Yeah, I probably should have done it days ago, but I had more important things to do." She took a sip of her cup again. "Like procrastination." She mumbles into the cup.

I laugh at her. "Oh, is that what people are calling it now?"

Lizzy lift. an eyebrow. "Calling what?"

I lean closer to her. "Talking to guys! Who is it, who has caught little Lizzy's attention?"

A look of horror crossed her face as well as a red tint. "I'm not talking to a guy! Where would you even get that idea from?"

"I can tell these sorts of things you know. You've either been zoning out or typing on your phone since we've sat down."

"What'd you say?" She had zoned out again.

"Exactly my point! Clearly you are talking to someone important, or you wouldn't be smiling when you type!" I told her and she waves a hand at me.

"I always smile when I'm on my phone." She defends.

I scoff. "You do not! I haven't known you very long time, but you normally don't smile like a manic when you text people. You've been acting strange ever since the day at the brid- oh." All the pieces start falling into place.

"What?" Lizzy asks nervously. I give her an all-knowing look. "What?" She asks again, her voice raising an octave.

"You-" I grab her hands. "Are talking to Noah." I smile sweetly at her.

"What!" She pulls her hands away from me and gives me a disgusted look. "No, I am not, I hate him why would I talk to him?"

"Oh, so then perhaps Jay? Or" I gasp. "My brother? Lizzy so help me I swear if you and my brother-"

"I'm not texting your brother, I'm texting Noah." She cuts me off. She hung her head in shame, but when she looks up, I'm just smiling at her.

"So, so sweet. You two should date and get married and have kids, then name one after me of course." I ramble on and on.

Lizzy laughs. "We're only talking. And yeah right, me dating Noah is ridiculous! That's like you dating Jay or something."

"No way! I will admit he's hot, but I could never date him. He doesn't come off as the guy who's into commitment." I reason.

"See, exactly my point. The chances of me dating that- that douche, are the same as you dating that Jay guy."

"Yeah, zero." I answer. Who would even want to date a guy that is always screwing up and having to apologize?

*****

"I need to take you shopping, you have absolutely nothing to wear!" Lizzy yells as she throws my clothes onto my bed.

"Yes, because clearly my closet is oh so empty." I deadpan. "Hey, don't you have a project to work on?"

She waves a hand. "Procrastination, remember?" Lizzy throws a couple more shirts out of my closet before coming across a black top, that was tight and had a somewhat deep V-neck. "Oh, baby this is it!"