s i x

Chapter 6 : A New Friend

"56...57...58...59...60!" I placed the weight bar onto the gym floor and stretched my arms. I found this gym on campus on my run the other day and decided to get a membership.

There is lots of free time between my classes and work on some days, so I decided why not spend time staying fit and healthy?

I finished up doing lunges with a 50lb bar across my shoulders, now it was time for some arm work. I grab a set of dumbbells and began to lift them in sets.

There weren't many people in the gym, considering the time of day- 7am. Seems a little crazy, yes, but it makes me feel refreshed for the rest of the day.

There are a few guys on the other side of the room showing off their muscles to each other..idiots. Strangely enough I'm the only female in the gym at this time, but it doesn't bother me much. I don't come here to socialize, I come here to work. Stay healthy. Stay fit...

I have been trying to exercise for years as much as I can to make sure I don't gain all the weight I tried so hard to get rid of.

It took me years of trying, crying, pushing myself to my limits every day until I couldn't stand. I drop the dumbbell onto the ground to break myself from the trance I was under. Don't think about this now..

I shook my head and shook out my hands before picking the dumbbell up and beginning again. Negative thoughts won't get me anywhere. They only hold me back.

You aren't small enough. But is that really true?

My thoughts scream at me for what felt like eternity as I finish my workout. I go to the bathroom and splash water on my face to cool myself off. You are perfect and beautiful.

*****

Surprisingly, I slapped myself in the face and stared at my reflection. "You are perfect the way you are!" I pointed and accusing finger at my reflection.

Taking a deep breath, I left the bathroom and headed for the door to the gym, to leave.

Instead of heading back to the apartment I start a light jog towards the woodsy area that's been screaming at me to explore it. I could use a distraction right now, and I don't have classes until 10 today!

Luckily, it's only 7:30 and the sun is just peaking in the sky. I start to hike upwards, hoping to find a clear area to rest.

When all seemed lost, I stumbled upon a clear ledge area beyond a couple of bushes. The view made me gasp. All I saw were trees for miles and a golden sky as the sun rises in the sky, signaling it was morning.

A light breeze pushed my loose strands of hair, but I didn't care, it was refreshing. My chest felt lighter and for a few moments all my problems just vanished. There was only me and the sky.

I step forward and take a seat towards the edge, letting my feet dangle off the ledge. Hopefully, it's sturdy. It's amazing how this environment is completely different from the campus when it's just on the other side of the woods.

I'm not sure how long I stayed on that edge, but once the sun had risen a good amount, I decided it was time for me to leave. When I stood up and brushed myself off from the dirt, I heard a rustle behind me.

I turned around but there was nothing there. I shrugged to myself. "Must have been a squirrel." I start to hike back out of the trail and went back to the apartment.

Hopefully, I can find that spot again, it was so relaxing.

I entered the stairwell and look up. A sudden realization hit me, I have to climb all those stairs. Normally that's not a problem but after my workout this morning, my legs are killing me.