t w e n t y

Chapter 20 : The Day We Left

So, as far as I knew, me and Jay were good, right?

Wrong.

On Friday, once my brother and Camila left, I confronted him about how he's been distant.

Which makes absolutely no sense to me still, considering the last time we had talked beforehand, it was about his birthday.

I was sure things went so well that night. We seemed..close.

Maybe in my haze of stress and feelings, my vision was clouded.

But regardless, he said he was sorry for being distant, yet it's been two days now. He has spent his time either at work, or in his room.

I'm so absolutely bored. I forced myself to complete schoolwork that's not due till the week after break so I wouldn't go insane.

Maybe I shouldn't have invited him to Thanksgiving at our place.

I wonder if he usually spends Thanksgiving alone...so social interaction will be good for him.

He also could've said no, but he didn't. He agreed by not disagreeing!

That means a car ride home with just you two.

I lean back in my desk chair and sigh at the ceiling. Then I glance at my clock.

"I guess I should get ready for work." I mumble and stand up.

Tonight, is a late night shift, and thankfully my shift tomorrow is only 6 hours, so I get off at 4pm. Hopefully Jay gets off then as well so I can leave right from work.

I take a quick glance outside and see the sky covered in a sheet of grey. Now that is gotten to the end of November, the chance of snow has been greater. There were a few flurries a week ago, but nothing has stuck yet, which would've been great because classes would be canceled.

I pull on my black jeans and sneakers, before putting on my black work long sleeve as well.

I sit on my bed to tie my shoes and remember something important. I grab my phone and dial a number, putting the call on speaker.

"Aubrey!" My mother's voice rang through. "Is my darling daughter calling me to let me know she isn't in fact working and she's outside my door right now?"

I laugh at her. "Sorry, Mom, I'm still at school. I'm making money though, so it's fine."

"It's not fine, Aubrey. I hardly get to see you and a chunk of your break was taken away for some shifts."

"You know, with this extra money and Christmas next month, I can get some really cool things."

My mother was silent for a few seconds. "Oh, that's right, you'll be back at home in a few weeks after this week anyways, there's no need to rush."

"Wow, Mom, I offer a good gift and now you want me to stay and work."

"I'm only teasing, but why'd you call?"

I finish tying my shoes and sit back on my bed, looking outside. "You said to let you know if me or Alex are bringing someone back, so you know to set an extra plate."

"You're bringing someone home!" She screams into the phone.

"Mom, calm down. It's not like that. I offered for him to spend the holiday with us since he doesn't celebrate with his parents." I defend.

As much as I'd wish it would be how she interpreted it, I know it's not.

"Aw, poor thing. We'll make sure to make him right at home. I'll start to set up the guest room."