Nightmare On The Black Pearl-- Part 2

AN: And now... the conclusion of our Halloween Special! Savor it like that little chuck of chocolatey nougat that gets stuck between your teeth! Seriously, I can't be the only one who suffers with that every Halloween!

Meanwhile on the deck of the Black Pearl, Mr. Gibbs was still seated outside on the deck with a pistol in hand. However he had fallen asleep about half an hour after Captain Jack left the ship. But Maggie expected as much, it wasn't the first time her father left his first mate in charge of babysitting her. Besides now that Gibbs was asleep, it would give Maggie a chance to set up her traps for Franny Kreeper. Once Maggie got Franny out of her dream, she would use booby traps to stall her until Captain Jack returned.

Maggie slipped out of her bedroom, holding a bag of supplies for her traps. She noticed Mr. Gibbs sleeping in the corner, she knew him to be a heavy sleeper, but just in case...

Maggie walked up to Mr. Gibbs and poked him hard. He didn't so much as fidget in his sleep.

"Gibbs..." Maggie mumbled to him.

Nothing.

"Gibbs" Maggie said louder.

Not even a twitch in his face.

Maggie clapped her hands together right beside his ear and shouted "GIBBS! WAKE UP!"

His head fell to one side, but he was still fast asleep.

Maggie eyes widened. "Maybe he's dead?" She asked herself. Then she glanced under his chair and noticed an empty bottle of her father's rum.

"Oh... that explains it!" Maggie nodded.

Now confident that the ship's first mate wouldn't blow the whistle on her, Maggie went straight to work on her booby traps.

First Maggie took a small anchor that she swiped from a dinghy on the dock. It weighed about thirty-five pounds and Maggie struggled to carry it into the Captain's Cabin. Then she tied some strong, wool string around the top of the anchor and hooked the string to a cargo hook on the ceiling and hoisted it up, tying the string to a book shelf beside her. So the anchor dangled from the ceiling above, outside her cabin door.

Then she went into the stairs leading to the ship's helm and placed a bunch of marbles on each step. Then she covered the stairs with a long rug, which hid the marbles.

Afterwards, Maggie went down to the Pearl's cargo hold and grabbed some of the old tattered sails that had been taken down because there were too many holes in them. She layed them out on the deck and doused them with kerosene oil. After ringing out the excess oil, Maggie tied a rope around the sails and hauled them up near the crows nest. It looked like a large oil-stained ghost floating above the deck of the Black Pearl.

After finally returning to her cabin, Maggie stared up at the clock on one side of her bedroom. It was exactly twenty minutes before midnight. Her father would be home by midnight and hopefully by that time Maggie will have pulled Franny put of her dreams and lead her into one of her awaiting traps! This was it, this was her chance to prove to everyone she wasn't crazy, that Franny Kreeper was real!

Maggie took a deep breath, suddenly remembering that saying was always easier than doing. Franny had about two feet and probably about sixty pounds on little Maggie. She knew this would be a challenge, but no matter the odds, no matter how scary it got, Maggie knew she had to do this.

But just in case she got down on her knees beside her bed and folded her hands as she closed her eyes.

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. And if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take" she recited a bedtime prayer.