New Friends

"So the salad bar is over here and we have sushi on Fridays." Olivia gave the welcoming tour to Royalty as they walked around campus. It was now lunch time so Olivia saw it as the perfect opportunity to show the new girl around some more.

"I have actually never had sushi before." Royalty confessed, making Olivia's eyes go wide.

"You have never had sushi before? Are you serious? It is amazing!" She said in disbelief. "When Friday comes, I will show you all the best things to get. You're seriously missing out."

"Alright, bet." Royalty laughed. As she looked around campus, she spotted Spencer having lunch around some other people who she hadn't met before. There were 3 guys and 3 girls. "Oh, I'm guessing those are some of the boys on the football team."

Olivia nodded as they took a seat at one of the many benches outside. "Yes it is. One just happens to be my twin brother." She sighed.

"Lemme guess, he the only other male with melanin besides Spencer." She pointed out. She took a good look at him and had to admit he was cute. He had a fresh hair cut and a dazzling smile that was sure to woo any girl. By the way the girl was clinging onto his arm, she knew her exact thought was true. Overall, he was very attractive and she knew he knew that. Not to be rude to Olivia since that is her brother but he seemed all looks and not a very good personality which was sad to see.

"That would be correct. That is Jordan Baker. The schools quarterback and my dad,  Billy Baker, just happens to be head coach the football team he's on."

Royalty looked at her shocked. "Wow, seriously? I mean, I'm not into the whole American football thing but I hear that's a big deal."

"I mean I guess yeah."

She nodded. "So, if you don't mind me asking, if your brother is a big deal quarterback, popular boy and your father is the coach, where does that place you in this high school hierarchy?"

"The 90 day sober ex-drug addict." Olivia confessed casually. When she saw the look of shock on Royalty's face, she apologised. "Sorry, I shouldn't have just blurted it out like that. It's just, I don't know, I can't help but be blunt about it sometimes."

"It's cool. I mean yeah it caught me off guard but don't apologise. We all go through messed up shit. No judgement here." She shrugged. "Since I know something so personal to you, I give you the chance to throw unlimited questions my way."

Olivia raised an eyebrow, Royalty was definitely not like people around here. She was very relaxed but she could tell there was something fiery behind her but she just couldn't tell when or how that would come out. She certainty had a confidence to herself. Maybe she would have a friend around here, her and Layla weren't cool anymore, her own twin wasn't even close to her and she didn't even want to get into Asher. It wouldn't hurt to at least have someone around.

"Okay. Where are you from and what brings you to Beverly? I mean, not to be offence but I hear an accent and can kind of can tell you're not from here." She asked.

Royalty nodded as she took a sip of her drink. "Well you saw this morning that my mom just started so that's how I got to this fancy school. I am originally from Jamaica and moved to the states only about 2 years ago I believe it is now. I really thought my American accent was getting better but I guess not." She joked, making Olivia laugh before continuing. "I live with my parents and four siblings."

Olivia's eyes grew wide. "Four? I can't even handle or get along with the one I have."

"Yeah, I am the middle one. The usually forgotten and often blamed one but as the first girl, I get a lot of unwanted attention."

"Lemme guess, when it comes to dating?"

"Bingo!" She sighed. "My older brother's are twins so they both intimidate any boy around me... Speaking about them, here they come."

The brother's walked over with large smiles on their faces as they came over to annoy their younger sister and her new friend.

"Well what do we have here?"

Royalty rolled her eyes before introducing Olivia to her brothers. "Olivia, meet the twins, Ra'Mari and Ra'Keem. Twins, meet Olivia. We met in our first lesson which happened to be our mother's lesson."

"It's nice to meet you." Ra'Mari, or who Olivia believed it to be, said to her.

"Nice to meet you too um?" She stopped, not sure which one was which.

Royalty mentally slapped her forehead as she heard Olivia stumble. "Right, my bad. I forget that they're identical and that people can't tell them apart."

"Which is something that has never happened to me." She joked, making Royalty laughed.

"Yeah, if they do, maybe they need a good set of glasses." She shook her head before going on to explain which sibling was which. "First up we have Ra'Mari, the eldest by 10 minutes. He's the one with shaved sides and cornrows. Then Ra'Keem, the one with shaved sides but this time with single plaits."

"It's nice to meet you guys." Olivia greeted. "So, where do you think you guys are going to fit in? I am the side character while my twin brother is the main character."

"You a twin too?" Ra'Keem asked and she nodded before pointing over to where Jordan was sitting. He was laughing at something another football player, JJ said. When she accidentally looked at Asher, she forced her eyes away. "Nice but I believe we won't fit into the jocks, as American's say."

"You two play sports?" Olivia asked, getting her thoughts back on track.

"Us three." Ra'Mari nodded. "Royalty does netball, I do basketball and twin does track and field."

Olivia's eyes grew wide. "Wow, I guess I have lost you to the athletics crowd." She said to Royalty.

Royalty shook her head. "Nah, I like hanging out with you. I don't think I would be about to 'hang' with the team if I get onto it. If we can say we're official friends now, I will definitely make time for you."

Olivia was taken back a little, no one had ever said that to her before and Royalty didn't understand how much that meant to Olivia to hear someone say that to her and genuinely sound like she meant it. It had really been a rough year and having someone to be around and talk to when she felt lonely was exactly what she needed. "Oh thanks. Yeah, I can say we're friends."

"Aww that's cute." Ra'Mari pouted. "Well, it was nice to see you're doing alright Roy, Olivia, nice to meet you but we shall be going." The boys stood. "Try outs are later so won't see you until later later." He directed  to his sister.

"Where are you guys going? You better not be flirting with girls already."

The two slowly creeped backwards before turning and jogging away from their little sister who was glaring at the back of their heads, already being caught out.

Royalty just shook her head and sighed. "They're helpless."

"That's brother's for you." Olivia agreed.

"Right?!"

Olivia and Royalty spent their time discussing random things to get to know each other better since they declared that they were now friends. Royalty's personality was calm and laid back while Olivia's was very friendly and kind so they both knew the drama between them would be minimum which was definitively something neither of them wanted or needed in their lives.

Little did they know, that was exactly what they were in for.