12-BROKEN PIECES

"I mean, do you really think Mom would hurt Dad?" Vanya asked, as they all silently watched the tape. Hannah knew she would try her best to defend her mother, but so far... It wasn't looking too good. They had evidence of their mom supposedly killing their father.

"You haven't been home in a long time Vanya. Maybe you don't know Grace anymore." 

"If he was poisoned, it would have shown in the coroner's report." Hannah said in a 'duh' tone. Diego stepped beside her, agreeing. 

"Yeah, well I don't need a report to tell me what I can see with my own eyes." 

"Are you sure space didn't mess up your vision?" Hannah mumbled under her breath.

"Hey, I heard that!"

"Shes right," Diego fought back a chuckle. "Maybe all that low gravity messed with your vision," He stepped closer to the TV. "Look closer," He rewound the video. "Dad has his monocle. Mom stands up. Monocles gone."

"Oh, yeah!"

"She wasn't poisoning him," Hannah said.

"She was taking it... to clean it," Diego added.

"Well, where is it? I searched the house, including all her things. She doesn't have it."

Diego looked down in guilt. "That's because I took it from her. After the funeral."

"You've had the monocle this whole time?!" Allison snapped. 

 "Give it to me,"

"I threw it away,"

"You what?"

"Look," Diego put on a defensive tone. "I knew, that if you found it on mom, you'd lose you sh!t." He raised his knife up and pointed it at Luther. "Just like your doing right now."

"Diego, you son of a-" Luther started as Diego got into a fighting position. 

"Diggy," Hannah warned under her breath.

"Hey, calm down," Vanya said.

"Look, I know dad wasn't exactly an open book. But I do remember one thing he said. Mom was designed to be, well, a caretaker, but... also a protector."

"What does that mean?" Allison questioned.

"She was programmed to intervene if someone's life was in jeopardy."

"Well, if her hardware is degrading, then... we need to turn her off."

"What? No!" Hannah shouted.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah, wait. She's not a vacuum cleaner you can just throw in a closet! She feels things, I've seen it!" Deigo shouted at Luther while Hannah nodded, glaring at Luther.

"She just stood there and watched our father die Diego!"

"I'm with Luther," Allison admitted.

"Surprise surprise."

"Shut up."

"Guys.." Hannah mumbled, looking at everyone. "We can't just turn her off!" The looks she wasn't receiving were good. "She's our mom! She raised us. She got us through Reginalds ridiculous training."

Everyone looked at Vanya, waiting for her say.

"I-I don't-" Vanya studdered.

"Yeah, she shouldn't get a vote."

"I was gonna say I agree with you."

"Okay, she should get a vote."

"What about you stoner boy?" Diego gestured to Klaus. "What do you got?"

"Oh, so what, you need my help now?" He slurred. "Well, 'Get out of the Van, Klaus' 'Well, welcome back to the Van'."

"What Van?"

"Long story," Hannah replied.

Luther scoffed. "What's it gonna be Klaus?"

"Im with Han and Diego, because screw you! If Ben were here... He would agree with me." A moment of silence went by, then he hissed at an empty spot next to him. Everyone shared confused glances, before brushing it off.

"So that's four?" Luther asked.

"To two." Hannah smirked.

"Votes not final yet."

"What?"

"Fives not here. The whole family has to vote. We owe eachother that."

"Right,"

"No, we should wait," Vanya added.

Everyone nodded and walked off, except for Hannah, Diego, and Vanya. Hannah heard heals clicking not far behind, she turned around and saw Grace standing with a sad smile. "Sh!t." Hannah muttered under her breath. They all made their way over to their Mom.

"Hey," Diego put his hand on her shoulder. "How long have you been here?" He asked softly.

She looked into the distance for a moment. Before turning to them with a blank face. Suddenly, the face was replaced with a forced smile. "You all seem upset. I'll make cookies."

"Do you ever wonder.." Vanya started once Grace was gone. Hannah turned around to face Vanya. "All those moments with Mom, the things she's said. Like, was it her? Or was it really dad?"

"What do you mean?" Hannah asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

Vanya shifted on her feet. "Well, he built her. And he programmed her to be a mom. To be our mom. Sometimes when I look at her, I just see... him."

"Maybe that was true at first, but she evolved."

"How do you know?" She asked.

Diego smiled softly. "Because dad only loved himself."