Chapter 9: Pedestal

Chalcedony and Zileh were fast asleep on Verzant and Jazlyn's floor. He left four hours ago. Jazlyn crept back in after 5AM. She whispered an apology to Rustie, who was awake on the couch, but it wasn't Jazlyn who woke her. She never dozed off. There were several close-ups of that fire agate tattoo – and the pendants it was based on – on Roto-Search Images. It was identical... but what exactly were Chalcedony and Verzant suggesting? Rustie thought at first they just wondered if her pendant was somehow stolen, but why did Chalcedony mention that she was adopted? Was she seriously wondering if Rustie was Fire Agate?

Her parents, Finley and Chastity, weren't bad people. The biggest complaint Rustie or her three brothers could make was that they were overprotective. Chastity had fallen down some Raboot holes of conspiracy theories recently, but she wasn't always like that. Rustie was certain neither of them would ever accept a stolen baby... though now she was questioning whether they all looked related. The youngest and oldest brothers, Jimmy Lee and Winchester, didn't really look like Rustie or the middle brother, Houston. Only Rustie and Jimmy Lee had red hair. Their parents did not, but a great-grandfather did. Was it possible...?

No, they shared the same sky blue eyes. Sometimes siblings didn't look alike. She almost didn't want to ask Chalcedony for her opinion, because she wasn't sure she wanted to know... but the Raboot hole was open now. She couldn't stop wondering. What exactly did Fire Agate and her parents look like?

Her eyes were blue, despite her mom's brown eyes... but she was only a baby there. They probably turned brown if she survived, which was a huge 'if.' There was a dead baby in the stroller after Abbey and Alfie were attacked on an Akala Island beach. They must have had to identify the body as their daughter. How could she be alive? One of the conspiracy theories Chastity posted about on social media was that the killing was a hoax, but she seemed to believe Fire Agate's entire existence was a hoax to exonerate Alfie for his role in Cipher.

That couldn't be true. Amber wasn't lying when she said she'd seen his scars with her own eyes... was she? Why would she lie? Alfie was friends with her dad Leon now, but when he was losing his mind in Cipher, he tried to kill him and almost succeeded.

Rustie must have fallen asleep. She was laying on her P★DA. Chalcedony, Zileh, Verzant and Lyric were watching videos of Alfie's performance in Unovan Idiot. He showed them a photo of him meeting Alfie outside the theatre.