Chapter 75: Challenger Zileh Vs. Elite Four

The applause booming in the colosseum was muffled in the locker room. Zileh sat on the floor with Vaporeon. She registered for the Gym Challenge on a whim because she thought it would be fun and she wanted her own Pokémon, but she found she loved travelling, mysteries and Pokémon in general. Her older friends saw Citadark Isle as the culmination of their journey. She was so young, with so much left to discover, it seemed more like the first hill of many. If she could become Champion... she would never doubt she could climb every one of the hills in her future.

'Challenger Zileh, #85, is challenging the Elite Four.'

Zileh returned Vaporeon. She stepped into the elevator. Cail wished her luck. Her parents and Grason cheered in the VIP box. Ruhul and Hanila had just arrived with Rustie's brothers, who looked crushed that they missed her. The Robo Groudon burst from the opposite elevator.

'Chobin is who you battle! And Chobin will crush you! You've been warned!'

'Go for it! Volcarona and Crobat!'

Chobin sent out Sunflora and Sawsbuck. Crobat immediately darted to slash at Sunflora with Cross Poison. Volcarona used Quiver Dance. Its speed and power rose. Sawsbuck used Swords Dance. Sunflora used Ingrain to plant its roots and restore its health, but Crobat knocked it out on the next turn. Volcarona used Quiver Dance again. Sawsbuck continued to use Swords Dance. Chobin sent out Tropius. Before Sawsbuck could take advantage of its raised attack, it was scorched immediately unconscious by Volcarona's Flamethrower. Cross Poison tore open Tropius' skin. The slime that seeped in left it poisoned. It planted Leech Seed around Volcarona. Chobin sent out Sceptile. The glow from his Key Stone to Sceptile's Mega Evolution filled the colosseum. After its boosts from Quiver Dance, Volcarona was faster. Bug Buzz deafened Sceptile and pulled it to the floor. It fainted.

Tumultuous applause exploded. Crobat knocked Tropius out before it could attack. Chobin sent out his last two Pokémon, Cacturne and Jumpluff. Volcarona blasted Flamethrower at Jumpluff. Its cotton puffs were charred. It fainted. Crobat hurtled at Cacturne. U-turn was doubly effective. Cacturne was down. The whistle blew.

'Elite Four Chobin is defeated by Challenger Zileh!'

Cail was right that Chobin was the kind of Trainer who either went down easily, or unexpectedly destroyed his opponent. Zileh couldn't get cocky. There was barely time to mull anything over before the elevator returned. From a distance, Zileh didn't understand why Dirk was scared of Courtney, but close up there was indeed something unnerving about her empty eyes.

'...Well then...'

'You can do it, Vaporeon! And Gallade!'

Courtney sent out Blaziken and Magcargo. They were the worst possible combination to face Vaporeon and Gallade. Dirk wasn't so bitter about his loss that he wouldn't cheer for Zileh. His voice was louder than everyone else's.

'Go on, Zileh! Show her what you're made of!'

Zileh held up her Key Stone for Gallade to Mega Evolve. Courtney hesitated. She withdrew Magcargo and sent out Ninetales. Drought blasted Chobin's clouds away. Blaziken used Protect. Zileh figured it would. Both of her Pokémon attacked Ninetales. It was drenched by Scald and whacked by Brick Break. Fur dusted the floor. Ninetales collapsed.

Lyndon said something to Amber. He looked unsettled. Whatever he said startled Amber. Trip looked incredulous. Everyone thought it was cute that they were so invested in Courtney's battles.

She sent out Charizard. As Blaziken leapt, she glanced up at the VIP box, as if she sensed something. Lyndon wasn't looking. He was typing something on his P★DA. Blaziken flew past Vaporeon. It landed with an almighty crash. It was injured. Gallade's Psycho Cut slashed it unconscious. Charizard blasted Solar Beam at Vaporeon. Scald shot back. Courtney sent out Talonflame. It hurtled at Gallade to throw it to the floor with Brave Bird. It leapt right back up to lunge at Charizard. Thunder Punch crackled as it struck Charizard's jaw. Its flapping wings whipped up Hurricane, but Gallade dodged it. Scald knocked Charizard out.