Chapter 46: Test

Brass returned to her usual spot at the entrance to Pyrite Town. She'd made almost P45,000 from clueless challengers so far and an extra P5,000 from Team Magma for recruiting five people. The most satisfying achievement was conning Theta. That girl wouldn't stop bragging about her intelligence, but she panicked when she thought she could get into more trouble for refusing to pay an entrance fee. Brass left Rustie alone. She seemed vulnerable and hardly had any money after losing to someone in Duel Square.

Poverty was behind Cail since he became a Gym Leader, but they still lived in a run-down trailer. It didn't come naturally to him to throw money at an apartment in Pyrite Heights when he already had somewhere to live. Something rustled in the garbage can as Brass approached. The lid rattled off. It rolled under the trailer which, at this point, was glued to the ground by a build-up of dirt. Brass caught the can before it tipped. She expected to find a young Rattata or Venonat, or maybe even a Grimer, but there was a flash of white fur. Frightened red eyes welled up. That was no regular vermin. The unfamiliar Pokémon looked like it once belonged to a Trainer who lovingly cared for it. She coaxed it out with Poké Snacks.

'What's a cute li'l dude like you doing in the garbage? Did you lose your Trainer?'

She wasn't sure what type it was. Normal? Fighting? No, its feet were scorching hot. It must have been a Fire-type. The door scraped open.

'Yo! How's business?'

'There's this li'l Pokémon here, Dad...'

'Oooh! That's a Raboot! Come on in, buddy. I know you're gonna set me on fire if I try to give you a bath, but you need it!'

Raboot was so distraught, it was glad for any unexpected kindness. They treated it as a Pokémon in need, not a fascinating object for a collection. It let Cail bathe it. His two Houndoom, one for Gym battles and the other for all-out matches, shared their bowl of Impidimp Ready Dinner for Pokémon.

'This is hardly a tourist hotspot...'

Cail took a photo of Raboot to send it to Hop. 'So I bet he came from the Prof.'

'Why would anyone dump him?'

Hop replied quickly. There was nothing he could do for Jovi and their colleagues, who sulked amongst pillows and blankets on Michael's and Emili's floors in Gateon Port, but he could confirm Raboot was given to Chalcedony Nedali.

'Yoooo... Chalcedony the car destroyer? Has to be. That's not a common name. The fuck? She'd never let a Pokémon go. No wonder he looks like he was loved once. How'd he end up here?'

Cail stroked Raboot's soft ears. 'You wanna go back to Chalcedony?'

Raboot didn't even know what it wanted anymore. It just wanted to feel safe in the hands of someone who wanted it.

'I'm sure she's missin' you, buddy. She's a decent kid.'

If Chalcedony really was missing Raboot, it wanted to go back. It nodded.

'C'mon, then. Let's go for a li'l walk.'

The strongest Houndoom carried Raboot out on its back. Cail tried the Pokémon Center first. Everyone in the dormitory was homeless. There was no room for challengers. The Super Grand Hotel was full of them. Neither Chalcedony nor any of her friends, however, were there. They weren't far away, under blankets in Dirk's car, but hiding from potential thieves or attackers meant Cail couldn't see them, either. He checked the three hotels in Pyrite Heights. Wes said he saw Theta and Rustie checking in, but no blue hair.

'If she's from here, won't she be at her house?'

'Oh... of course. Didn't think of that.'

'I did see a girl with a whole lot of blue hair in Duel Square. You could just give him to her when she challenges you. She must be about ready.'