Chapter 67: Cipher Admins Ein & Theta

Ein had six Pokémon. It appeared Theta had seven. He sent out Gyarados. Chalcedony couldn't see auras, but she had no doubt from its soulless eyes that Gyarados was a Shadow Pokémon. Theta sent out Tyrantrum. That was clearly a Shadow Pokémon, too, although Chalcedony couldn't know it was Peonia's stolen ace Pokémon.

Tyrantrum charged. Gyarados lunged. Cinderace and Serperior were buried in a shadowy cloud of flailing limbs. Chalcedony was horrified. Would they even stop at knocking her Pokémon out? Or did they have to die? Maybe she had to accept that this was a battle she couldn't win. She had to ask for help... although she wasn't convinced any of her friends were strong enough to face the amplified wrath of Ein and Theta.

One of them apparently thought they were. A blast of electricity hurled Gyarados off its struggling opponents and paralysed Tyrantrum. Gyarados curled up and fainted.

'You know you can't win fair and square, huh?'

It was a man, but it wasn't Dirk. Chalcedony recognised that distantly mocking tone from somewhere. A Toxtricity helped Cinderace to its feet. Tyrantrum stomped to block its Trainer from joining Chalcedony, but Lyndon skirted nonchalantly around it as if it was as threatening as a cardboard Magikarp.

'Too bad I'm in such a bad mood, I don't really care whether the Orre League wants me here or not.'

While Ein fumbled to send out his next Pokémon, Lyndon sprayed Serperior with Max Revive. Chalcedony returned it. Cinderace faced Tyrantrum and Ein's Starmie with Toxtricity. Thunderbolt crashed down onto Starmie. How strong were Lyndon's Pokémon? Toxtricity was faster than Cinderace! Starmie toppled and fainted before it could attack. Cinderace charged at Tyrantrum. Iron Head knocked it over. Toxtricity dodged Shadow End.

Ein sent out Carbink. It was immediately pelted with Sludge Bomb, but the sturdy Pokémon managed to withstand it. Another headbutt from Cinderace knocked Tyrantrum out. Carbink let loose bouncing balls of shadow that confused both opposing Pokémon. Theta sent out Manectric. It looked as exhausted as Chalcedony's Pokémon. She used her turn to heal Toxtricity so Lyndon didn't have to switch out.

Sludge Bomb sent Carbink rolling under Ein's legs until it clunked into the feet of a tumbling Peon. The Shadow Bolt that struck Cinderace was weak. Ein sent out Coalossal. Toxtricity struck it with Volt Switch and returned to Lyndon. He sent out Kingdra. Cinderace booted Pyro Ball at Manectric. It was malnourished and ragged. It gave in to fainting as its weak body rolled into the wall. Coalossal blasted Cinderace with Shadow Fire. Chalcedony didn't know much about Shadow Pokémon. She didn't understand why an attack with 'Fire' in its name seemed to affect Cinderace as harshly as water did. Its legs buckled as it was consumed by shadowy flames.

Chalcedony sent out Clawitzer. Theta sent out Sylveon. Kingdra soaked Coalossal into unconsciousness before Clawitzer got the chance. Water Pulse hit Sylveon instead. It seemed Theta bothered to care for Sylveon. She giggled.