Chapter 80: Hero

Smoke filled the room. When Chalcedony saw a Gallade, for a split second she forgot Wyatt's Gallade was a Shadow Pokémon that was just snagged and wondered if it was him; but the silhouette commanding it blazed with confidence Wyatt never had. Black boots clipped the floor.

Chalcedony never truly believed meeting her parents would play out like a movie. She hoped it would, but she knew really it was fantasy. Artificial light illuminated a smirk so familiar it felt like they were never apart. In a way, they weren't. She grew up watching his heroes defeat villains with childlike awe. He was there on her arm. She knew Alfie's roles were as fake as everything in the Sunset City industry, but maybe there were exceptions to the rules, because in that moment he was every bit the hero he played in his movies.

Gallade slashed the straps binding Chalcedony to the chair. Ein scrambled to his feet.

'Ah, Addison. You don't give up, do you? Well, the more the merrier.'

Alfie was smirking because he too knew that for the first time in his life, he wasn't just playing the hero. He was the hero. His hands were cold when he helped Chalcedony to her feet. She still wasn't entirely sure if she was already dead, because this was so surreal, but one thing she could feel was her wide smile.

Another fireball sailed over their heads. It destroyed what remained of the computers and torture equipment. Abbey's Cinderace stood over Theta while its Trainer bound her limbs. Gallade pinned Ein to the wall before he could send out any Pokémon. Alfie took his Poké Balls. Ein ducked from Gallade's grip. He ran for the door. Two taller silhouettes blocked his way. One had a Charizard. The other commanded a snarling Houndoom.

'That's my sister, motherfucker.'

'And my stepdaughter. You didn't really think you could get away with terrorising another one of our relatives, did you?'

'Hmph. So lock me up. Kill me if you wish. You have no idea what Cipher is planning!'

Ein pathetically tried to run, but Lyndon seized him. Leon tied him up. Someone threw a first aid kit to Abbey. She disinfected and bandaged Chalcedony's wounds.

'Is this seriously happening?'

'Unfortunately. Well, not unfortunately, because we've finally fucking found you, but it's a shame those two are here to spoil the mood.'

'Ein said I'd struggle to get out of the lair...'

'Which is why Team Snagem kindly drilled us a hole. Come on.'

Leon beckoned her to climb onto the back of his Charizard. There was indeed a gaping hole in the roof. Agrev and his Gym Trainers commanded several Mega Steelix that terrorised cowering Cipher Peons. Charizard took off. They soared over the desert, veering from the river, to Nascott City. Willie waved. Despite Charizard's excellent sense of direction, Leon was about to get lost. They landed outside the central hospital.

'She's got a couple of nasty wounds. But you're not concussed or anything, are you, love?'

'Uh... no. I don't think so. But my Pokémon...'

'Lyndon nicked them off the production line.'

Chalcedony was ushered inside. Her wounds were properly checked and dressed. She was dazed. Leon took off to return to the lair. They hoped to rescue the remaining Shadow Pokémon. Alfie and Abbey rushed in, but as the adrenaline dwindled, their long strides became awkward creeps. Chalcedony smiled.

'It's OK. I don't hate you.'

Alfie sat at the foot of her bed. Abbey hijacked a wheelchair.

'I swear we had literally no idea you were alive until, like, a month or two ago. Your other dad – Ruhul – is on his way. He seems like a nice lad. Is he?'