Chapter 10: Chasing Acceptance

Zileh was getting carried away. 'Your dad could be Alfie Addison!'

'Don't!' Rustie snapped, 'I don't like Alfie. I want my parents to be my real parents. They are my real parents! My great-grandpa had red hair. That's where I get it from. My mom's hair is kinda red. And all our eyes are blue. Me and my parents and my brothers.'

'Can we see a photo of them?'

'Let's get to the airport first...'

They were close enough, now, to make out the name of the star on the tailfin of an Air Orre plane taking off. It was Wes Vincent. He didn't only stop the first incarnation of Cipher, but was the Orre League's first Champion and a member of the Elite Four until his son Seth took over two years ago.

'Do you follow Seth on Rotogram?' Zileh asked, 'His photos are awesome!'

At least that was something Rustie could relate to. Rotogram recommended Seth when she followed Zane and his photos of Orre, Galar and Kalos were indeed breathtaking.

'I really liked his ones of The Under. Now Cipher are gone, I'm super excited to go down there!'

'Me too! We've gotta scare Wyatt away so Chalcedony can explore without seeing him!'

Chalcedony smiled. 'Good luck with that.'

Rustie decided to keep the Wingull she caught. They were a pain to anyone who lived near Gateon Port, but rarely seen in Nascott City where she grew up. Zileh hoped to find a Torchic. The new Rock-type Gym Leader, Cassia, found one there in Gateon Plains. There were no signs of them that day.

Chalcedony sprinted off. Her guitar case was left on the grass. Neither Rustie nor Zileh saw what she was chasing, but Salandit pinned something down. It struggled in a pool of poison. She threw a Poké Ball. It shattered. Three more Poké Balls later, the mysterious Pokémon was caught.

'Wow!' Rustie exclaimed, 'That must have been special. What is it?'

'It's a Rotom!'

'Aww... I was hoping to maybe trade my Mareep for your Scorbunny. You seemed to like them... but I guess you don't need another Electric-type.'

Rotom was barely conscious when Chalcedony released it. Rustie applied Antidote and a Potion. Chalcedony gave it her P★DA to possess. It cheered up then.

'We'll see. Technically I can carry seven Pokémon if Rotom stays in my P★DA.'

'Be careful, Chalcedony. They're not made for Rotom to possess like those fancy phones are. Especially not untrained Rotom...'

The P★DA floated bizarrely after them. Cell phones were expensive in Orre, where most people used the traditional and 'outdated,' but cheaper P★DAs. Chalcedony wanted to buy a phone in Sunset City. Life there was far too expensive. She still had the same P★DA she left home with. Maybe if she and Rotom won enough battles together, she could buy it a more comfortable phone.

Their feet ached when they finally reached the airport. Zileh complained that she was 'squishing' blisters. All they wanted now was to get to Gateon Port. People glanced bewilderedly at the dishevelled Trainers, who clearly hadn't flown in, hobbling to the bus stop. There was only one seat. The others had apparently been stolen. Rustie took it. Zileh sat with Chalcedony on her guitar case.

'That guitar's gonna be broken before you get the chance to write anything.'

'Probably already is. I don't think I want to open it.'

'Have you had it, like, forever?'

'Since my hands were big enough to play.'

The bus arrived before Zileh could reply. A flight attendant grumbled that it was late. The Trainers didn't care. They didn't even care that the P1,000 ride was four times the standard Gateon Port fare.