Chapter 44: Closed Down

Amongst fans queuing outside The Charmed Chewtle bar in Wyndon was an undercover police office, Rhys. He found himself out of his depth when doors opened. The tiny venue's security couldn't cope with the surge of rabid fans of Piers and Alfie, who were headlining the Wyndon Dive Fest in support of Battle Against Abuse. Abbey attended all the shows. She couldn't stand on the front row without being punched and photographed from unflattering angles, so she stood behind the bar instead. She dragged Leon along that night. Victor tipped her off that they were practicing a cover of their first dance song, Wyndon Boy. Some fans lost their spots when they turned to photograph a sight they never expected to see, Leon the bartender.

To Rhys, who knew nothing about small gigs and how fans of popular artists behaved, it seemed like a dangerous free-for-all. He was face-down on the stage long before the opening acts finished. He couldn't breathe during Piers' set. Concerned Victor helped him up when he walked onstage, but he was doomed to accidentally lick Victor's shoes when the crowd exploded at the sight of Alfie. Even he tried to pick Rhys up. It didn't help. At least he could look back at his recording later, although the last thing he wanted was to re-live this. The music was just noise to him. Then Alfie dedicated Wyndon Boy to his 'best friends.' The crowd parted for them to dance. Rhys was squeezed off the front row and directly onto the stage. Victor hauled him off onto the heads of the crowd. They weren't impressed. Rhys fell to be trampled until he crawled out to the safety of the bar.

He was in a foul mood. Admittedly, he heard nothing that matched the 'Alfie Clan' theories he was investigating, but if Alfie's fans were this rabid and inconsiderate, what did that say about him? Leon's eyes were on Rhys. He was no longer smiling. What was he staring at?

'Sir, you dropped your badge.'

That was what he was staring at. This awful night was just getting worse. His cover was blown to whoever saw the badge... although Abbey wasn't looking. The rumours that she watched her ex lovingly were true. Why was her husband just standing there while she looked at a convict like that? Maybe there was something weird about them.

'Well, since you know I'm here now... I need to interview you, Mr. and Mrs. Fayed.'

'Can it wait? Abbey's watching the show.'

'No. I need to interview you both before I interview Mr. Addison. Please follow me outside.'

'Oh. You're here to pick on Alfie. I suggest you speak to Anabel Berelle, Chief Inspector of the International Police.'

'The International Police don't need to get involved. This can be resolved on a local level. Especially if there's nothing wrong. Please get your wife out of that trance and follow me outside.'

'I can hear you.'

Abbey irritably turned. 'But I'd also suggest you speak to Anabel. She is the authority on Alfie's case, whether you think she's needed or not.'

'This relates to events after Ms. Berelle closed the case. Being buddies with her doesn't give you the right to disobey local police.'

They reluctantly followed Rhys outside. He led them to a damp steel bench.

'I'm sure your relatives, Professors Hop Fayed and Jovi Mesquite, have told you their lab is being repeatedly searched.'

'Yes. They also told us there was a problem with selling Abbey's books which, quite frankly, is ridiculous. As for accusing the Mesquites of promoting Cipher... that might be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.'

'Then I trust you're already aware of the "Alfie Clan" complaints.'

'Aware of it, yeah,' Abbey replied, 'But none of us get it. Alfie included.'