Chapter 45: Feeling Chipper

Rustie had no idea what was going on anymore.

Jet wouldn't speak to her or Ivor since she traded Raboot for Ivor's Octillery. She regretted it, but it was too late. Ivor had already challenged Cassia and won. He got the last seat on the Boltund to Pyrite Town. Jet was long gone. He beat Cail and was about to challenge Wyatt. Unbeknown to Rustie, who felt unbearably guilty, Ivor awoke when a Rattata leapt at his bed in the Pyrite Super Grand Hotel to find Raboot gone. This time, it wasn't close by. It was nowhere to be found.

Then the shocking news came that the Pokémon HQ Lab had been closed down. Humiliating photos of the scientists clinging to what little they could gather of their belongings outside were on the cover of every newspaper. ONBS was under investigation for siding with the lab.

Alfie avoided using his connections to the Sunset City industry at all costs, but he wasn't letting anyone arrest his son while his wife was pregnant. As soon as he was released after an aggressive interrogation, he sent one of the most infamous lawyers to get Lyndon out. The police had already got the 'proof' they wanted. After a week without his medication, he became paranoid and tried to break out himself; although really, there was good reason to feel paranoid, because neither the Mesquites nor Alfie and his family had done anything wrong.

Jet didn't challenge Wyatt. He drove to Phenac City, narrowly avoiding a collision on Highway 1 on the way. It wasn't like him, but the thought of grovelling to his father, yet again, put him off the road. Justy knew his son was in a long rebellious phase. He was surprised when Jet burst in to the Pre Gym.

'Can I tear you away from your throne for five seconds?'

'Of course you can. What's up?'

'Someone has to do something! I might be too useless and maybe you are too, but you have to get in touch with the International Police! This is an international issue!'

'What is? I just heard about the Pokémon HQ Lab...'

'Cipher! Major Gallego – calling himself Cobalt – is spying on the Quartz Space Center for a reason! He won't tell me why, because I'm too fucking pathetic to beat him, but he knows something! Cipher have to be in there!'

Jet grimaced. 'Gosh... do you have to wear that dentist's coat all the time?'

'It's not a dentist's coat.'

Justy's P★DA buzzed in his pocket. He turned the volume down.

'You have to check that, I guess...'

'No, no. Finish what you're telling me first. Cobalt – he prefers to be called that – isn't on their side, for what it's worth. He trained here for a while. He's not unlike you... he ran away because he couldn't stand his parents.'

'I didn't say I can't stand you.'

'Anyway – he's spying on the Space Center, but won't say why?'

'It's obviously because Cipher are in there. And if what he knows is so bad that he can't tell anyone who isn't strong enough to protect themselves – and it involves space – how bad is it?!'

The P★DA continued to beep. Whoever was calling overrode the 'do not disturb' mode.

'Sorry, Jet... I really am gonna have to answer this.'

It was an automated call. Another urgent Orre League meeting was hastily arranged.

'I'll relay everything you've told me to the League, Jet.'

'It's not enough to just tell them. You have to convince them to call the International Police! Can't Lyndon call them, if you're so worried about Ardos listening in?'