Chapter 66: Prepared to Battle

Ein's white car remained at Gallego Labs as the sun set. The five Gym Challengers, who now held all eight Badges of Orre, hid behind the cactus where Lyndon and Amber sat. Stella squinted through Jovi's Pokémon-watching binoculars.

'The car's still there...'

Zileh grimaced. 'I sure hope that doesn't mean they're... you know...'

'Fuck!' Amethyst exclaimed to the surprise of her friends who expected her to speak as sweetly as she looked, 'We're gonna have to just go in there sooner or later.'

Wheels rumbled. They thought it was a bus. Stella pulled them to the floor. It was a heavy-duty truck. The man who stepped out to glance around wore plain clothes, but his utility belt gave away his identity as a Cipher Peon. He released a Medicham. It nudged him.

'What? You think this is a bad idea?'

Medicham pointed to the bus stop. The spies held their breath.

'I am worried about him overpowering us, but... what choice do I have? Theta will lock me up again...'

Medicham continued to frantically point. Its Trainer was convinced it was worried about whoever was in the truck.

'I mean... I guess they aren't expecting us tonight... and since he won't listen to reason... we could teach him a lesson in the meantime. Oh, OK. You've convinced me. Let's go get a beer.'

As the truck rolled away, something rammed the back doors. The prisoner was trying to escape. Rustie shook her head.

'Good luck to him...'

'Well!'

Amethyst rolled up her sleeves. 'They won't have a prison to take him to by tomorrow. I'm going in.'

She stood only for Rustie to pull her back down, but it wasn't because she was being reckless. The lights on in the lab flickered off. Doors opened. Theta stormed out to Ein's car. She drove away. As soon as he could no longer be spotted in the rearview mirror, the security guard whipped out headphones and a comic book.

'Now I'm going in.'

No-one was fast enough to grab Amethyst that time. She sprinted across the road and into the parking lot. Before the security guard spotted her, he was whacked in the temple by the boot she pulled off. She triumphantly removed his lanyard. Her friends crossed the road as she opened the doors. When they caught up, she was battling the two guards inside. She must have had Zane's approval. Under the puffy sleeves of her sweater was the Snag Machine that Michael passed on to his nephew. The Aura Reader responded to the opposing Sandslash. Amethyst's Kommo-o burned and confused it with Flamethrower and Water Pulse. While her Golurk fought off the other Trainer, she threw Ultra Balls at Sandslash. The third clicked. Sandslash was caught.

'Did... did you just take my Pokémon?'

'It's Mesquite's kid, you dumbass!'

'Argh! Set off the alarm! Now!'

Stella and Dirk stepped into their path. Poliwrath threateningly clapped its fists together. Stella's Lycanroc growled. While they fumbled to revive their Pokémon, Chalcedony took a DIY store's entire supply of rope from her bag. She cut off enough to tie up one person and threw it to Rustie. They each grabbed one of the guards. When they wriggled, Salazzle sprayed them with a mild dose of poison. Amethyst couldn't help sniggering. The intoxicating smell gave them unwanted erections. They were helplessly tied up.

Dirk punched open the door to Theta's office. He threw the guards inside. Chalcedony scooped an armful of notebooks into reusable Wail-Mart bags. Zileh dumped in a stack of files and cases containing external hard drives.