Chapter 17: Flying High

Zileh took advantage of Pineco's exploding habit. As soon as it came close to fainting, it exploded, knocking out anything on the battlefield except her new Shuppet, who the explosions passed straight through. Cleaners had to sweep the battlefield so the marching band didn't trip over before Emili's entrance. They each had four Pokémon. Zileh added a Zubat she caught a few days ago to her team, but like Vaporeon, it was weak to Emili's Electric-types. She sent them both out first. Emili sent out Tynamo and Pachirisu. This would be an interesting match.

Zubat didn't survive for long, but after repeatedly battling Chalcedony's Rotom, Vaporeon was hardened to the super effective moves. It took Tynamo out. Raichu replaced it. Pineco replaced Zubat. It wore its own health down with recoil damage from Take Down, but that was part of Zileh's strategy. By the time Pachirisu was down and Emili's strongest Pokémon, Raichu and Emolga, were on the field, Pineco was about to faint. Raichu used Yawn, but it was too late. Pineco exploded. Emolga and Raichu were flung over Emili's head into the heavy glass protecting stands. They both fainted.

'Challenger Zileh wins!'

'Yeah! Pineco! We did it!'

Emili warmly shook her hand. 'It wasn't even a week ago you felt discouraged because you thought Pineco would never stop exploding. Imagine how far you'll go on your journey to Citadark Isle!'

Now she was strong enough to win her first Badge, Tauros might have respected her, but she didn't regret trading it to Dirk. They were made for each other.

'Our next challenger is #31! Jet! His first opponent will be Gym Trainer Turold!'

Jet waved. Fans knew he was the son of Emili's greatest rival and Orre's final Gym Leader, Justy. Rustie sighed.

'He's so cool... I can imagine him at the World Championships one day.'

Chalcedony smirked. 'There's no hope for you.'

'...What?'

'He doesn't look like a mini Justy,' Zileh said, 'But he sure acts like one. I can see him prancing around in Phenac more than I can see him at the World Championships.'

'He really is a mini Justy. Even Seth's grown a bit, but isn't Jet, like, 23? He's stuck at 5'3" forever.'

'Well!' Rustie stammered, 'Unlike Alfie, his height doesn't make him feel inferior!'

'Just tell him you like him!'

'No! He'll never like me back. I bet he's taken, anyway.'

'Let's find out!'

Zileh took out her P★DA. Rotogram loaded. He was easy to find. His username was his name, 'jet_jorjadze.'

'No girlfriend – or boyfriend, or partner, or whatever – on here. Just a bunch of... rocks. A few pics of his Pokémon, but... what a boring dude! Don't ask him out. He'll probably talk about rocks!'