Chapter 5

*Picture of Kendric at the top*

HEY EVERYONE!!!!! I'M BACK!!!!!!! It's been so long *sobs*. I took a very long break due to personal reasons reasons, but I'm here and better than ever. This chapter took me forever to write but I toughed it out and 4,700 words later here we are. I would also like to give a shout out to the amazing writers that I have come to know that helped me get back on my feet for writing and feel the love again for it once more. They are beautiful humans so thank you guys! Soo enjoy the update I hope you like.

Song: EVERY KIND OF WAY BY H.E.R

The night had come to an end.

Aston looked around as the others walked out of the library conversing amongst themselves, his thoughts going back to the events that had played out earlier in the evening. His mate had assaulted and forcefully made one of his elders submit to him in power, something that hadn't been done in hundreds of years. Lydia had been the selected casualty of Nicolai's rage in that moment due to her attitude against his species. Not something that he could have predicted at all. He had surprised himself in the matter with the capability of staying calm during the entire situation.

Seeing Lydia's terror had made him neither happy nor sad, but felt that the actions that his mate had taken, something that needed to be done. Nicolai's feral state had also given him the incentive to not ever have that version of his mate be pointed towards him. It had also strangely aroused him with the display of dominance. Aston had personally never seen so much rage within a person when he had seen the look in Nicolai's eyes before gaining his attention from Lydia. What he had seen in those eyes had concerned him due to the darkness that seemed to be behind them. In his head he made a note to find out the source of that dark place within his mate.

"You look so far away" Nicolai's voice broke through the silence.

Aston blinked as he snapped out of his trance, looking towards his mate seeing that he was watching him with careful eyes. Those gold eyes took his breath away as they analyzed him looking for any signs of things being wrong. He smiled at the man, finding it sweet that Nicolai was concerned and actually cared if he had gotten too lost in his thoughts.

"It's okay, I'll always come back, you don't have to worry about that," Aston replied, still smiling at him.

"Are you sure you're okay love?" Nicolai asked, getting closer to him.

Was he okay? Aston had finally accepted the position that Wyatt had left him and he also had a mate that was the equivalent to him in his own birthright. He was to be King. His face became neutral as it set in slightly, his talk with Rhea flooding back into his mind along with his decision. He had remembered his decision to take the reins from the elders, but he had not accounted for Nicolai coming into his life.

"Yeah I am, it's just been a really long day today" he stated.

"It really has" Nicolai smirked.

"You could say that it is full of interesting surprises" Aston smiled as he sauntered up to the male lion.

Nicolai had noticed that the others had left them to their own devices, his sisters wiggling their eyebrows at him suggestively. Aston being lost in thought had made it perfect for them to have a moment alone because the elders had had enough of him for the night. He had challenged their every statement during their negotiations, also getting his mate to challenge them as well, knowing that it silently irked them. Rhea and Emersyn had quietly snickered at their reactions, their doe-like eyes watching him behind fake smiles as he had put forth his own negotiations along with Aston. Aston's input had surprised them, his own negotiations putting a damper on their plans for the future of the clan and the pride.